Gc MINUTES FOR THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 9th MAY 2016


  1. Present

Cllr Jerry Carlisle (Chairman), Cllr I Turner, Cllr G Clark, Cllr M O’Brien, Cllr G Northen, Cllr Y Lee,

Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk)


3 members of the public


  1. Apologies

County Cllr Tony Hunter, District Cllr Gerald Morris, Mr Tim Martin (RFO)


  1. Election of officers

The meeting is required to elect a Chairman and a Vice Chairman for the forthcoming year.


Cllr Carlisle stood down as Chairman.


Cllr Carlisle was proposed as Chairman by Cllr Turner and seconded by Cllr O’Brien.


There being no other nominations Cllr Carlisle was unanimously re-elected as Chairman of the Parish Council for the coming year.


Cllr Turner stood down as Vice Chairman.


Cllr Turner was proposed as Vice Chairman by Cllr Clark and seconded by Cllr O’Brien.


There being no other nominations Cllr Turner was unanimously re-elected as Vice Chairman of the Parish Council for the coming year.


  1. Councillor’s Declaration of Interest

Cllr Northen advised that she had a potential conflict of interest due to her employment with Ginmeister Ltd as there is an item in Matters Arising for discussion.


  1. Minutes of Last Meeting

The minutes of the meeting held on 4th April 16 were read and approved.

Proposed by Cllr G Clark and seconded by Cllr M O’Brien.


  1. Matters Arising

The Clerk confirmed that the completed and signed agreement form for the adoption of the red telephone box in the High Street has been returned from BT and the telephone box is now in our ownership. It is understood that the telephone mechanism has already been removed from the box and Cllr Northen has notified the emergency services as required as part of the adoption. Cllr Northen confirmed that a meeting is scheduled to be held in a couple of weeks for those who expressed an interest in taking this project forward. The possibility of installing a defibrillator into the box has previously been considered and Cllr Northen has explored this a little further. Cllr Northen agreed to update the council at our next meeting.

Cllr Northen and Mr Martin have yet to progress their suggestions for improvements to the flow of the website to enable it to be more user friendly and current, due to other commitments. They resolved to do this in the near future.

1150



Cllr O’Brien has completed and sent off the application to register the Fox & Hounds as an Asset of Community Value and the right to bid process. It is understood that the timeframe is 8 weeks to receive any decision.


The drain cover at the corner of Smiths End Lane and London Road which was damaged has now been repaired.


Cllr Northen, speaking in her capacity as an employee of Ginmeister Ltd, reported that the application for a premises licence has now been given an end date of 12 months from application. Additionally, after seeking advice from the authorities Cllr Northen confirmed that no alcohol can be sold and taken away in person from the premises, the premises licence will purely be to enable mail order sales only. It was also discussed that an update for the neighbours on Ginmeister's plans to move the business would be welcomed and Cllr Northen advised that an invitation will be sent out asking neighbours and interested parties to attend a ‘Question & Answers’ session. Plans are progressing to move the business with a planning application for alternative premises due to be submitted shortly.


The Clerk is delighted with her new laptop however Cllr Turner has agreed to install Norton Antivirus software on it.


Cllr Lee has met with Historic England to discuss renovations of the Lock Up. She was advised that if works to renovate it do not take place shortly then the buildings will be placed on the ‘at risk’ register. Unfortunately it doesn’t appear that there will be any grants or alternative funding forthcoming, the building is too small and wouldn’t qualify for most of the grants that may be available. Cllr Lee asked for the key to be given to her to enable access to the inside of the building. After discussions it was thought that Mr Tony Slater may still have this and Cllr Carlisle agreed to speak to him about this.


Cllr Clark advised that Mrs Margaret Davies-McKeon, Head teacher of Barley School had thanked the Parish Council for the Commemorative Coins celebrating the Queens 90th Birthday and that the children were very pleased with them.


  1. Financial officers Report & Signing of Payments


In Mr Martin's absence Cllr Carlisle advised the council of the following matters and payments to be made:-

Parish Council

Mr Ian Turner Reimbursement for Clerk new laptop £342.67

Tower Mint Commemorative Coins for Barley School children £116.52

Mrs Laura Childs Parish Clerk April hours & office expenses £290.80

Mr Tim Martin RFO April hours £131.20


Interim cheque payment made to Broadmead Leisure for £13,090.80 being 25% deposit for the new playground equipment. Cllr Northern was asked to send the VAT invoice to Mr Martin for his records.


It was agreed that these payments should be made.

Proposed by Cllr G Clark and seconded by Cllr M O’Brien


1151

Town House

There were no payments for the Town House this month.


Mrs Alison Stacey has advised that there are deposit refund cheques to be raised and Mr Martin will issue these on his return from holiday.


The council reviewed the Audit Commissions Annual Return for Barley Parish Council for the year ended 31st March 2016. Mr Martin RFO had prepared and signed the Accounting statement. The council unanimously approved the Annual governance statement and then the Accounting statement both of which were duly signed.


Mr Martin will now forward these to Hardcastle Burton who will carry out the internal audit before they are submitted to BDO who will carry out the audit on behalf of the Audit Commission.


Cllr Carlisle advised that Hardcastle Burton wish to increase their fees for carrying out the PAYE work that they undertake on the council's behalf. Cllr Carlisle confirmed to the meeting the amended charges which were approved by the council.


The bank statements and balances of accounts were distributed and reviewed.


  1. Planning


Ref no. 16/00661/1 Fox & Hounds, High Street, Barley – Detached 4 bedroom dwelling and ancillary works (as a variation of planning permission granted under ref no. 13/01699/1).

This application has been altered to correctly note the certificate of ownerships for the various aspects of the application. Cllr Lee wanted to register her disapproval of the design of the new house, given its prominent position in the village, standing next to a listed building, in a conservation area and that it takes no reference from the vernacular of the village. Following discussions it was agreed to respond that the Parish Council had no objection in principle to the application however we do believe that an opportunity for a design that would positively contribute to the area has been lost.


Ref no. 16/00959/1HH 1 Shaftenhoe End, Barley – Single storey rear extension following demolition of rear conservatory.

It was unanimously agreed that there were no objections to this application.


Ref no. 16/00827/1HH Hops Cottage, 3 Shaftenhoe End, Barley – single storey side extension

It was unanimously agreed that there were no objections to this application.

Nobles Cottage, Smiths End Lane, Barley

The Clerk has received a reply from Melissa Tyler of NHDC Planning Department, regarding concerns that have been raised over whether the planning department were satisfied that building works were as per the approved plans. Following a site visit by Melissa Tyler she has now spoken with Mark Simmons, Conservation Officer and they have again requested that the owners submit a planning application for works to the wall. They have additionally requested that the conditions in regards to materials be formally discharged, however the conservation officer has stated that he would be unlikely to object to the materials that have been used on the garage .




1152




  1. Recreation Ground

Cllr Northen spoke on behalf of the Barley Playground Committee to advise that the old playground equipment has now been removed and that they are expecting the contractors to come back shortly to start preparing the area for the installation of the new equipment in early June. They are on schedule to have the playground completed in time for a grand opening at the Village Show in July.


Mr Joe Zigamond spoke on behalf of the tennis club about the proposed changing facilities behind the Scout Hut. The tennis club have previously discussed making a possible contribution towards the cost of any new building in return for being able to use the facility however at a recent tennis club committee meeting it was discussed that in its currently suggested layout it wouldn’t be suitable for the tennis clubs needs. Discussions continued about the lack of any football team currently interested in using the Plaistow and whether this might change should suitable changing facilities be available. It was agreed that prior to the project being implemented discussions with all interested groups would be held to ensure the internal layout and facilities provided were reasonably suitable for those groups who were most likely to make use of it.


  1. Town House

In Mr Nick Shaw’s absence Cllr Carlisle read out an email from him advising of two things that had come out of the recent Town House Management Committee meeting. Concerns about one of the chimneys needing some structural work carried out were discussed and the Council were to be asked if they would fund a structural engineers survey and report. The Town House Management Committee would also like to see more corporate hirers using the premises and they had discussed the possibility of having a preferred caterer for corporate events who would be expected to pay a commission to the Town House where hirers had used their services for any events.


Cllr Carlisle has had the letting conditions back from the solicitors and they are suggesting that the letting conditions are amended slightly with regards to third parties insurance.

  1. Scout Hut

Cllr Carlisle reported that he had spoken to the councils' solicitors who had advised that the solicitors acting for the Scouts were waiting to hear from the Scouts representatives dealing with the matter.


  1. Speeding

Mr Brian Haughey reported on behalf of the Speed Watch team to advise that speed was not abating and seemingly was actually getting worse. He asked if the Parish Council would consider purchasing one of the flashing interactive speed awareness signs and presented prices and information on signs that he had researched. His preferred sign costs £3,250 + VAT. The signs that he was recommending are battery operated and hold data on the speeds of passing traffic. This data can then be used as a tool to put pressure on the police to carry out more regular speed checks.


Cllr Clark spoke about his recent meeting with Sgt Guy Westwood. He confirmed that there have been five official speed checks that have been carried out between March and May, three by police constables and 2 by PCSO’s. Sgt Westwood explained that they had lots of other higher priority incidents to deal with at the moment which unfortunately had to take precedence over the speeding checks.


1153


Cllr Clark also spoke about the initiative that he was progressing with PCSO Chris Braebrook visiting the school with the quad bike and a poster competition for the children, encouraging drivers to slow down when driving through their village.


Mr Gary Henning had recently advised the Clerk that following a speed and volume survey undertaken in Bogmoor Road either side of Shaftenhoe End the average speed was measured at 25mph. After consultation with the police it was decided that is was not considered appropriate to pursue a 30mph speed restriction.


  1. Health & Safety

Cllr Northen reported that CDM does apply to the works being carried out to the playground project and that Drew & Baltrop are advising the Parish Council on the project.


There were no further matters to report.


  1. Correspondance

A letter has been received from Mrs Veronica Gooding about her late mother asking if a decision has been made regarding the memorial item she wishes to donate to the village. Following discussions it was agreed that an engraved commemorative clock may be an appropriate item and the Clerk agreed to write to Mrs Gooding to suggest this.


Cllr Yvonne Lee reported that the path clearing initiative had been very productive, it was well supported with 10 -12 people attending. It is hoped another similar event will take place again as the difference was dramatic. An email of thanks will be sent and a notice placed in The Diary.


Cllr Carlisle advised that a Village Grounds Maintenance person has now been appointed. Mr Jeff Booth will be responsible for cutting back the footpaths in the village, keeping the churchyard tidy, clearing the Smiths End pond a couple of times a year and will include some hedge cutting as required. An hourly rate of £9 per hour has been agreed.


Mr Wilkerson has agreed to undertake clearing and cutting back of the foliage along that part of Green Lane from the track leading to the Black Barn to the back of The Chequers. This is a permissive footpath not a public footpath.


Cllr Carlisle advised that Mr Chris Allen was not going to renew his allotment and he agreed to check with Mr Tony Slater to see if he was holding a waiting list of interested parties, otherwise Cllr Carlisle knew of an interested party who would happily take over the plot.


Mr Brian Haughey advised that he has wood for the repair of approx. 5 more benches around the village. If more repairs were required after this he agreed to apply for another grant.


The Clerk was asked to write to Mr Richard Emmerson of Creeve House to ask to have his hedge cut back which borders the main road as it is encroaching on the highway.


Meeting closed at 22:45






1154