MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 4th JULY 2016




  1. Present

Cllr Jerry Carlisle (Chairman), Cllr I Turner, Cllr G Clark, Cllr M O’Brien, Cllr G Northen, Cllr Y Lee, Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk), Mr Tim Martin (RFO), 4 members of the public


  1. Apologies

County Cllr Tony Hunter, District Cllr Gerald Morris


  1. Councillor’s Declaration of Interest

None


  1. Minutes of Last Meeting

The minutes of the last meeting held on 6th June 16 were read and approved.

Proposed by Cllr G Clark and seconded by Cllr M O’Brien.


  1. Matters Arising

Cllr Northen has received a quotation from Darren Partt for the restoration of the red telephone box on the High Street for £547.10 this includes repainting, replacing the glass, fitting with shelves for books etc. Cllr Carlisle asked that the committee find out where the electricity runs from should we need, in the future, to get power on a permanent basis to perhaps run a defibrillator. Mr Martin agreed to speak to Reed Parish Council who have recently installed a defibrillator into their old telephone box to find out what is required. Cllr Northen was given the go ahead to request Mr Partt to go ahead with the quoted restoration works. Mr Martin agreed to speak with our insurance company to ensure the telephone box is covered for public liability cover.


Cllr Northen and Mr Martin are yet to meet to progress their suggestions for improvements to the flow of the website to enable it to be more user friendly and current, due to other commitments. They resolved to do this in the near future.


Cllr Lee has yet to receive any quotations back from English Heritage approved builders for the works required to restore the Lock Up, she agreed to pursue this.


Following discussions Cllr Clark reported that he has been investigating the legalities of installing cardboard cut out policeman, as part of attempts to slow traffic through the village. Additionally it is looking likely that the ‘rent-a-cop’ scheme may be a possibility again, with two policeman for a whole day charged at £520. This cost could be shared between two villages and Cllr Clark agreed to speak to Barkway Parish Council to see if they would be interested in joining in this venture. PCSO Chris Brabrook is due to visit the school shortly to promote the poster campaign and the Police liaison officer will hopefully be coming along to take pictures and promote the speeding initiative in the village. Discussions took place about the existing flashing speed signs in the village as the one approached from Flint Cross doesn’t seem to be working. The Clerk was asked to contact Cllr Hunter to ask who services them and who’s responsibility it is.




1160


Cllr Carlisle reported that he has been corresponding with Mr Adrian Parkes regarding gaining access to the Fox and Hounds to inspect the property. They have agreed to gain access this coming Friday. The Plunket Foundation were discussed as a group that could advise on community buyouts.


Mr Martin has reviewed the pay scales produced by NALC and for smaller Parish Councils like ours the pay range was discussed. It was agreed that a pay rise to £12 per hour would be appropriate with effect from April 2016 (back dated).


  1. Town House

Mr Martin reported that there were 3 weddings booked in for this month and letting appeared to be satisfactory.


Cllr Carlisle will liaise with Mr Nick Shaw, Chairman of the Town House Management Committee, to ensure that the amended letting agreement comments are incorporated into the existing letting agreement.


  1. Planning

Ref no. 16 / 00078/1HH (Appeal ref no: APP/X1925/D/16/3150660) – Spindrift, Picknage Road, Barley, SG8 8HS Proposed development: Two storey extension to both gable ends following demolition of existing single storey side element and existing detached outbuildings.

Cllr Carlisle explained that this is an appeal to the planning refusal. Following discussions it was agreed that Parish Council has nothing further to add to its previous objections to this application.

The Clerk was asked to write to confirm that we repeat our objections to this proposal but that we had no further comments to make.


Ref no. 16 / 01561/1LB – Smiths End Barn, Smiths End Lane, Barley, Herts, SG8 8LL – Roof lights.

Following discussions it was unanimously agreed that there were no objections to this application.


Ref no 16 / 01572/1HH – Waylands, Church End, Barley, Herts, SG8 8JN – Single storey rear extension.

Following discussions it was unanimously agreed that there were no objections to this application.


The Clerk was asked to contact Melissa Tyler of NHDC planning department to ask if they have received any planning application or had any conversations with regards to the wall at the front of Nobles Cottage as we had been told that an application would be submitted.


Mr Bill Bampton of Pelham Structures presented to the meeting proposed plans to build on land behind the doctors surgery owned by Mr John Winstanley, who was also present at the meeting. The site would comprise part of Mr Winstanley's garden and the adjoining field currently used as a paddock. Pelham Structures are a local building company based in Langley Upper Green and Mr Bampton showed drawings detailing a development of 6 large 4 / 5 bedroom houses. Discussions took place about the status of the current NHDC Local Plan and the draft proposed new plan with particular reference to land use allocations, the benefit of 'low cost' housing versus the larger housing proposed and the site conditions including the potential flooding issues. Mr Bampton explained that he has also been liasing with the doctors practice to, as part of the development, increase the car parking spaces available to the surgery, as an incentive for the community. Mr Bampton thanked the meeting for allowing him to present their plans.



1161



  1. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments

Mr Martin reported that the following payments were due this month


Parish Council

Laura Childs Parish Clerk (June hours & office allowance) £ 264.40

Tim Martin RFO fees (June hours) £ 235.80

HMRC PAYE for April & June £ 299.20

Tim Martin Reimbursed for PAYE for Jan to March £ 69.93

G Booth June grass cutting & churchyard £ 271.00 & repairs to machinery

Hardcastle Burton Apr – June PAYE administration £ 147.00

Broadmead Leisure 2nd instalment for playground installation £26,181.60

It was agreed that these payments should be made

Proposed by Cllr G Clark and seconded by Cllr M O’Brien


Town House

Carol Robinson June cleaning £ 72.00

Alison Stacey Caretaking June £ 156.00


It was agreed that these payments should be made

Proposed by Cllr M O’Brien and seconded by Cllr G Clark


Wedding deposit cheques refunded

Hailey Poulter £150


Mr Martin advised that Carole Robinson had been away on holiday for two weeks and the new cleaner appointed by Mr Shaw is no longer available so we may have to look for an alternative cleaner for the Town House.


The bank statements and balances of accounts were distributed and reviewed.


Mr Martin reported that he has now sent off everything required to the BDO Audit Commission. We are required to publish a bit more information now, place it on our website and pin on our notice boards. Mr Martin circulated the Hardcastle Burton Internal Audit report.


  1. Recreation Ground

Cllr Northen reported that the playground is nearing completion with the final inspection planned for Wednesday before the grand un-veiling on Saturday at the Village Show.


It was agreed that the grass cutting should be arranged for this coming Thursday and Cllr Clark agreed to contact Bullards to arrange this.


  1. Scout Hut

Currently nothing further to report, our lawyer is still waiting to hear from the Scouts representatives.


  1. Health & Safety

Cllr Carlisle advised that there was currently nothing further to report.


1162


  1. Correspondence

Mrs Veronica Gooding has contacted the Clerk to advise that the commemorative clock and plaque is now ready to be put up in the Town House, it has been agreed that she will get the clock to Reg Cording and then we will make arrangements from there to put it up.


A letter has been received from Hertfordshire County Council advising that they are proposing to grant permission for the diversion for Footpath 14. The appropriate notices have been placed in the village notice board.


All other correspondence received is to be circulated amongst Councillors.


  1. Any Other Business

Cllr Turner reminded everyone that the marquees for the village show were going up on Wednesday evening and as many volunteers as possible would be appreciated.


Cllr Clark agreed to speak to Mr Malcolm George to ask if he would be happy to trim the grass paths around the allotment.






Meeting closed at 23:00





























1163