MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 4th APRIL 2016


  1. Present

Cllr Jerry Carlisle (Chairman), Cllr I Turner, Cllr G Clark, Cllr M O’Brien, Cllr G Northen, Cllr Y Lee,

Dst Cllr Gerald Morris, Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk), Mr Tim Martin (RFO), 1 member of the public


  1. Apologies

County Cllr Tony Hunter


  1. Councillor’s Declaration of Interest

Cllr Northen advised that she had a potential conflict of interest due to her employment with Ginmeister Ltd and where there is a planning item to be discussed later in the meeting.


  1. Minutes of Last Meeting

The minutes of the meeting held on 7th March 16 were read and Cllr Lee asked that amendments be made to the Parish Plan item to better reflect her comments, subject to these amendments being made the minutes were approved.

Proposed by Cllr G Clark and seconded by Cllr M O’Brien.


  1. Matters Arising

Mr Ian Fidler of Smith’s End Lane has advised that he had no real plans for the BT red telephone box that stands adjacent to his property other than he felt it was ‘an attractive feature in the lane and a useful location guide’. However his property has recently been placed on the market for sale and in the circumstances it was unanimously agreed that the Parish Council wouldn’t pursue the adoption of this box.


We have now received the agreement form for signing by the Chairman for the BT red telephone box that stands in the High Street. It has been reviewed by Cllr Lee and Cllr Clark and following further discussions it was agreed that the form would be signed.

Cllr Northen and Mr Martin have yet to progress their suggestions for improvements to the flow of the website to enable it to be more user friendly and current, due to other commitments. They resolved to do this in the near future.


Mr Brian Haughey has kindly provided the Clerk with a newsletter containing information and photographs on the various ‘minor highways’ issues around the village. The document isn’t however in a format that would enable the Clerk to provide the necessary information required to Mr Derek Jerrard of Ringways for their list and therefore this issue still needs to be resolved.


Cllr Turner agreed to write a letter to distribute via the new email software to villagers advising that the Parish Council have not raised the precept again.


Cllr Clark advised that he has spoken with Sgt Guy Westwood who said that the police had attended the village to carry out two speed checks, they weren’t however during key times. Cllr Clark is arranging a meeting to meet with Sgt Westwood in which he will try to get agreement to the police attending at more appropriate times to coincide with rush hour traffic when speeding in excess of the 30mph limit is most prevalent.



1145








Cllr O’Brien spoke about registering the Fox & Hounds as an Asset of Community Value and the right to bid process. A community benefit society would need to be formed and community shares issued to raise funds to buy it. Cllr O'Brien had prepared a draft application which was considered by the meeting and it was agreed that he should submit this on behalf of the Council.


Cllr Carlisle advised that a drain cover at the corner of Smiths End Lane and London Road was damaged and there was a danger of it falling in. The Clerk agreed to report the fault to Highways.


  1. Town House

Mr Nick Shaw, Chairman of the Town House Management Committee reported that the repainting and repairs to the windows had now been completed. There are now just three things that remain to be undertaken; the replacing of some glass in the windows upstairs, repair of the broken hinge on the back door, and the brass strip has been broken upstairs and is a trip hazard. The final invoice has come in a little bit less than the budget as the replacement taps were a little cheaper than expected. Busy Bee were due to install the hand dryer and undertake the hardwire testing shortly.


Mr Shaw advised that there were approx. 12 weddings booked for the coming year. Cllr Carlisle advised that he has been advised by the councils solicitors that the letting agreement needs only some minor amendments and this should be completed during the course of the coming week. It will be ready to review at the next Town House Management Committee meeting which is scheduled shortly.


  1. Planning


Ref no. 16/00661/1 Fox & Hounds, High Street, Barley – Detached 4 bedroom dwelling and ancillary works (as a variation of planning permission granted under ref no. 13/01699/1).

The delineation of ownership shown on the drawing supplied as part of the application is misleading; the area of access should be marked with a blue line and not the red line that is currently shown on the plan. The drawings do not show the actual materials either which is disappointing and given the sensitivity of the site consideration should be given to the actual materials proposed. The Chairman agreed to draft wording to this effect and the Clerk was asked to request an extension to the time required to respond.


Nobles Cottage, Smiths End Lane, Barley

Concerns have been raised regarding the ongoing building works being undertaken at Nobles Cottage and questions raised over whether they were to the approved plans. The Clerk has previously emailed Melissa Tyler of NHDC Planning Department, as the Planning Officer in charge of this site asking that the site is checked to ensure that all of the works being undertaken are as they expected them to be and in line with the works approved. Ms Tyler is yet to respond and the Clerk was asked to find out if a visit had been made.




1146



Cllr Northen had previously declared an interest in the next planning item as an employee of Ginmeister Ltd and remained in the meeting at the Chairmans request as she was needed to answer questions on the application for premises licence.


Dovehouse Shott, Smiths End Lane, Barley – Application for premises licence

It was noted that an application had been made for a Premises Licence on behalf of Ginmeister Ltd of Dovehouse Shott, Smiths End Lane. Given the issues surrounding the business being run from these premises and the proposal to move the business away from this location the question was raised that the application was ‘open ended’ and had no fixed time limit on it, should the licence be granted it would remain for all time and this caused some concerns. Cllr Northen was asked, in her capacity as an employee of Ginmeister Ltd, if the application could be amended so that an end date is added. Cllr Northen agreed that this wouldn’t be a problem and following discussions it was agreed that an end date of September 2017 would be agreeable.


  1. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments

Mr Martin reported that the following payments were due this month


Parish Council

Laura Childs Parish Clerk (March hours & office allowance) £ 282.00

Tim Martin RFO fees (March hours) £ 114.40

Tim Martin Stamps £ 14.04

Came & Company Town House insurance renewal £1724.82

HAPTC Annual membership £ 374.39

Hardcastle Burton PAYE 1st quarter £ 108.00

NALC LCR quarterly magazine subscription £ 17.00

NHDC Emptying of dog waste bins £ 466.75

Georgina Northen Reimbursed for Mr M George retirement gift £ 107.50

It was agreed that these payments should be made

Proposed by Cllr M O’Brien and seconded by Cllr G Clark


Town House

Carol Robinson February cleaning £ 92.50

Carol Robinson March cleaning £ 77.75

Alison Stacey February letting officer £ 34.70

Alison Stacey March letting officer £ 134.15

Darren Partt Work to Town House £2193.86

Nick Shaw Refund for cleaning £ 83.70

Affinity Water Annual water rates £ 375.50


It was agreed that these payments should be made

Proposed by Cllr G Clark and seconded by Cllr I Turner


Cllr Northen asked that any payments which are made in between meetings be minuted at the next meetings as a payment having been made. Following discussions it was noted that this procedure already takes place. It was however agreed that any payments that are made in between meetings should be limited to £3,000 unless a quorum of the council agreed otherwise, anything greater than this that could not wait until the next meeting would require an EGM to be called.


Cllr Lee asked if the Parish Council would reimburse the cost of the tea & coffee and bacon rolls proposed for the forthcoming Parish Path clearance event, this was unanimously agreed.


1147






The bank statements and balances of accounts were distributed and reviewed.


Mr Martin distributed the Parish Councils annual accounts, in preparation for approval at the AGM next month.


  1. Recreation Ground

Cllr Northen spoke on behalf of the Barley Playground Committee to advise that they had now checked the terms & conditions of their chosen contractor and additionally have taken references for them. They have also been in touch with Field in Trust as they are part owners of the Plaistow, although not of the area where the new playground will actually stand.


RoSPA have emailed to say that the annual playground safety inspection is due and the Clerk has advised that due to the old equipment being replaced an inspection this year was unnecessary. RoSPA did however follow up advising that a final installation check was required and Cllr Northen advised that this final safety inspection was included within the installation costs. The Clerk will advise RoSPA accordingly.


Cllr Northen ran though the final finer costs and it was unanimously agreed that the Parish Council were happy with the expenditure. Cllr Carlisle recommended amending the terms as it seemed a lot to be paying 50% up front and Cllr Northen agreed to speak with the contractor to negotiate better terms.


Cllr Carlisle has spoken to Malcolm George and is now in a position to speak to the grounds maintenance applicants with a view to appointing someone shortly.


  1. Scout Hut

Cllr Carlisle advised that solicitors have been instructed and things are progressing. He has now heard back from the Richmonds who currently wish to keep arrangements for access to the car park at the back of the Town House as they are. They did however acknowledge that there were potential issues and should the need arise in the future the matter could be revisited .

  1. Health & Safety

Cllr Carlisle advised that there was currently nothing to report.


  1. Correspondence

Cllr Carlisle has received a letter from Mrs Joy Nicholson regarding bagged dog waste being deposited behind the salt bin, which is adjacent to her property. The Clerk was asked to write to Mrs Nicholson to acknowledge her letter and complaint and advise that we are looking into what can be done.


A letter has been received from Mr Stephen Marsh clarify the intentions for his business, Pinkster Gin, to move properties and laying out an expected timetable.


All other correspondence received is to be circulated amongst Councillors.



1148




  1. Any Other Business

The date for the next Parish Council meeting and AGM was agreed as 9th May and 11th May was agreed as the date for the Annual Village Meeting. The clerk was asked to post the date in The Diary.


Mr Shaw was asked to speak to Darren Partt about refurbishing the village notice boards which are hung on the black barns in the High Street.


Cllr Turner has now had the opportunity to research prices for a new laptop for the Clerk and has found a good replacement for £299. It was unanimously agreed to purchase this and Cllr Turner agreed to action.


Cllr Lee confirmed that she has arranged a meeting with Mr Malcolm Star of Historic Buildings to discuss the Lock-Up restoration project.


Cllr Northen asked whether the village school could use the Town House to celebrate the outcome of their recent OFSTED inspection on a free of charge basis. In the circumstances it was agreed to waive the charge on this occasion.


It was noted that a tree has fallen down on a footpath off Smiths End Lane from a field belonging to Mr David Phipps and Cllr Clark agreed to talk to him to request that it is cleared from blocking the footpath.







Meeting closed at 22:45




















1149