MINUTES FOR THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 19th MAY 2014


  1. Present

Cllr Jerry Carlisle (Chairman), Cllr Ian Turner, Cllr Tony Slater, Cllr Becky Wears, Cllr Graham Clark, Cllr Marc O’Brien, Mr Tim Martin (RFO), Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk)


  1. Apologies

District Cllr Gerald Morris


  1. Election of officers

The meeting is required to elect a Chairman and Vice Chairman for the forthcoming year.


Chairman Cllr Carlisle stood down.


Cllr Carlisle was proposed as Chairman by Cllr Turner and seconded by Cllr O’Brien


There being no other nominations Cllr Carlisle was unanimously re-elected as Chairman of the Parish Council for the coming year.


Vice Chairman Cllr Turner stood down.


Cllr Turner was proposed as Vice Chairman by Cllr O’Brien and seconded by Cllr Clark.


There being no other nominations Cllr Turner was unanimously re-elected as Vice Chairman of the Parish Council for the coming year.


  1. Councillor’s declaration of interests

Cllr Wears declared an interest in the planning item ‘Proposed diversion of part of Footpath 15’, being a resident of 6 The Lane that the footpaths current location crosses.


  1. Minutes of last meeting

The minutes of the meeting held on 7th April 2014 were read and approved.

Proposed by Cllr Clark and seconded by Cllr Slater.


  1. Matters arising

The Clerk was asked to contact Terry Wilkinson of Ringway to see if he has any more information regarding the possibility of the village hiring a gully clearance vehicle.


The Clerk agreed to chase again for the replacement salt bin at the end of Smiths End Lane and Cllr Slater advised that the salt bin on the corner of Shaftenoe End Road has also gone missing.


With regard to the introduction of a 30mph limit being introduced through Shaftenhoe End, the Clerk reported that County Cllr Hunter had previously emailed to report that the necessary information and paperwork required for a Speed Review had arrived with the relevant person and that he would update when more information was available. The Clerk agreed to contact County Cllr Hunter again to see if any further progress has been made.



1034


Mr Martin reported that he has still not received a copy of the Tennis Club accounts, he suggested that perhaps he could just receive copies of their bank statements twice a year. Cllr Turner didn’t see that this would be a problem and agreed to ask Mrs Carole Turner to provide these.


Cllr Turner reported that the Tennis Club had discussed making some contribution towards the cost of any new building near the Scout Hut. Their members would be very keen to use the new building although the club would like to have some input into what sort of facilities would be included.


Cllr Wears reported that she has contacted the Archives Office in Hertford and that they may have copies of the relevant maps that we would like to see, showing the history of Fremans Lane. Cllr Carlisle asked Cllr Wears to pursue this further.


Cllr Carlisle asked everyone to consider a replacement for Mr Martin as the Parish Council’s appointed Governor at Barley First School. Mr Martin will be stepping down in September. Mr Martin explained to the meeting some of the duties involved with the role and the Clerk was asked to place an article in the Diary asking for any interested parties to come forward.


  1. Financial Officers report & signing of payments


Mr Martin reported that the following payments were due this month


Parish Council

JDK Grounds Maintenance Fencing at the Plaistow £2,490.00

Laura Childs Parish Clerk (April) £ 208.80

Tim Martin RFO (April) £ 154.00

NHDC Emptying of Dog Waste bins £ 446.78

Annual invoice 2012-2013


It was agreed that these payments should be made.

Proposed by Cllr Turner and seconded by Cllr Clark


Town House

Carol Robinson Cleaning (April) £ 50.00

Alison Stacey Letting Officers fee for March

and refund for some advertising £ 249.00

Vicky Stacey Cleaning (March & April) £ 52.50


It was agreed that these payments should be made.

Proposed by Cllr O’Brien and seconded by Cllr Slater


Mr Martin explained that the village’s website domain name was shortly due for renewal. There was an option to pay for 5 years of hosting in advance and it was agreed at a sum of £25 to do this.


Mr Martin went through the Town House accounts which had been presented at the Town House Management Committee AGM last week. Lettings were good for the last year, better than in recent years. He explained that he had been able to claim back a reasonable sum of VAT for the last two years and this had helped the final balance. Money had been spent on decorating the upstairs kitchen and giving a deep clean. The Marriage Licence fell due this year, which is payable every three years. Building works had also been carried out to the roof and gutters area.

1035

Mr Martin advised that he has updated the Asset Register for the year and would forward copies to everyone.


Cllr Slater passed Mr Martin a cheque for one of the allotment pitches, all plots are now paid up for the year.


  1. Planning

Proposed Diversion of part of Barley Footpath 15

Cllr Wears abstained from the conversation as she has a potential conflict of interests being a tenant of 6 The Lane.


The Parish Council have been requested by the applicants agents Sworders to consider this application on its own rather than grouped with the proposed diversion of footpath 14 and 15. Cllr Carlisle reminded the meeting of the issues surrounding this proposed diversion and it was resolved to respond to Sworders as follows:


Although the Parish Council noted that nothing further had been heard recently with regard to the proposed diversion of Barley Footpath 14, it was also noted that so far as the Council is aware that proposal has not been withdrawn. Sworders clients are also a party to that proposal so will know whether it is still alive but assuming it is, then as the Council has previously discussed with all parties to the proposed diversions of both footpaths 14 and 15 the Parish Council consider that both applications should be considered together and not on a piecemeal basis. This remains the Council’s position and the Council understands that this view is also supported by the Ramblers Association.


Sworders and their client are aware that the Parish Council and the Ramblers Association do not support the particular diversions of either proposal in isolation but without prejudice to that general position are both of the view that taking everything into account the alternative proposal previously suggested by the Ramblers Association and the Parish Council would meet all parties overall objectives.


  1. Town House

Cllr Turner reported that the Town House Committee AGM was held last week and that Mrs Carole Turner, Mrs Sophia Wrangham and Mrs Vanessa Martin had all resigned from their positions on the Committee. No volunteers came forward to form a new committee therefore as trustees of the Town House the committee’s duties will now fall with the Parish Council until a new Committee can be formed.


Amongst other items discussed at the AGM Cllr Turner advised that it was felt that further repairs were required to the wall to prevent the ongoing damp problem. During the recent decorating of the upstairs kitchen the end wall was causing a problem, with damp coming through. It was agreed that a Building Surveyor should be asked to come and assess the problem, Cllr Carlisle said he would approach Alan Cayford from Avalon, High Street to ask if he would provide some advice on the problem.


  1. Parish Plan

Cllr O’Brien reported that there have been two meetings held already and that the group of volunteers bring some really useful skills sets to the project. Both meetings have been attended by Mr Stuart Izzard, of NHDC. Cllr Clark advised that a Statement of Intent was being produced and that plans are underway to hold an information gathering event at the Village Show in July.


1036

  1. Recreation Ground

The RoSPA inspection is due to take place at some point this month. Cllr Clark confirmed that he has taken down the damaged rope ladder. The new fencing has now been completed by JDK Grounds Maintenance and all looks very good. Cllr Slater reported that the pathway from Picknage Road to the Plaistow needs strimming. All agreed that the new grass cutting contractors, Bullards, appear to be doing a good job with the Plaistow looking very smart. Cllr Turner advised that he had been advised that the nuts to the gate bolts have been taken off the gate that stands at the end of the pathway through from Bankside.


  1. Scout Hut

Cllr Carlisle reported that he has met with Geof Kavanagh, Group Scout Leader for the 7th Royston Barkway Scout Group, and shown him the drawings of the proposed new building. He liked the plans and will now discuss them with the other scout leaders and then provide the Parish Council with their feedback. Cllr Carlisle reported that the Scouts have just carried out some refurbishment to their building and the car park area and it was agreed that the Parish Council would make a contribution towards the costs of the materials.

  1. Health & Safety

Cllr Slater had nothing to report. The RoSPA Inspection report is expected shortly and this is expected to throw up some issues with the play equipment. Cllr Slater is waiting to hear from Janine Drew regarding some other issues with the Plaistow.


  1. Correspondence

Cllr Carlisle has received a letter from the letting agents Mullucks Wells, requesting a landlords reference for a property she is hoping to let in Saffron Walden, Cllr Carlisle will respond accordingly.


  1. Any other Business

The Clerk was asked to write to the owners of Ideni, High Street after complaints have been received regarding cars parking on the pavement outside their property. This is causing danger to pedestrians who have to walk in the road to get around the vehicles.


Cllr Wears is interested in undertaking some Councillor training, the Clerk agreed to investigate courses. Discussions also took place regarding Cllr Wears taking responsibility for the Town House.


Cllr Carlisle advised that Mr Richard Newham’s term of office had finished, as Parish Council representative on the Village Charities Committee. It was unanimously agreed that he should be asked to continue in the post.


Everyone was reminded that the Annual Village Meeting is to be held next Wednesday, 28th May 8pm at the Town House.




The meeting closed at 10.15pm







1037