MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 9th JUNE 2014


  1. Present

Cllr Jerry Carlisle (Chairman), Cllr Ian Turner, Cllr Tony Slater, Cllr Graham Clark, Cllr Marc O’Brien, Mr Tim Martin (RFO), Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk)


4 members of the public.


  1. Apologies

District Cllr Gerald Morris, Cllr Becky Wears


  1. Councillor’s declaration of interests

None


  1. Minutes of last meeting

The minutes of the AGM meeting held on 19th May 2014 were read and approved.

Proposed by Cllr Turner and seconded by Cllr Clark.

  1. Matters arising

The Clerk advised that the Parish Council contact at Ringway, the District Council’s highways contractor, has left and been replaced by a Derek Jerrard. Following email correspondence it would appear that unfortunately Mr Jerrard has not been fully appraised of some of this councils’ discussions with his predecessor and was unaware of our request for information on the possibility of the village hiring a gully clearance vehicle, or the issues with the blocked drain in London Road leading to surface water running across the road and freezing by the Fox & Hounds leading to particularly dangerous road conditions. The Clerk has arranged a meeting for Cllr Carlisle to meet with Mr Jerrard and discuss these and various other highway issues around the village.


The Clerk was asked to find out if there has been any progress made with regard to the introduction of a 30mph speed restriction through Shaftenhoe End.


Cllr Turner reported that he has spoken with Mrs Turner and requested that copies of the Tennis Club bank statements be made available to Mr Martin twice a year.


Mr Brian Haughey advised that the speed activation signs have now been removed and he has tried to seek further clarification from Herts Police on when Barley will be having the camera safety van sited in the village. He was advised by his contact at Bedford Constabulary that we wouldn’t now be getting the camera safety van due to policy changes by Herts Police. This is contrary to previous assurances and is obviously very disappointing. Mr Haughey has drafted a letter (on behalf of the Parish Council) to be sent to; Chief Constable Andy Bliss of Herts Constabulary, District Councillor Gerald Morris of NHDC, Mr Robert Gordon of Herts County Council, Mr David Lloyd the Police & Crime Commissioner for Hertfordshire and Mr Oliver Heald MP. The letter lays out the history of speeding through Barley and details the assurances previously given by various parties that both the speed activation signs and the camera safety van would be deployed in the village. The letter goes on to ask the recipients to meet with us to discuss the problems of speeding in Barley with a view to getting some form of action in place to provide proper police speed enforcement. The content of the letter was approved by all present and the Clerk was asked to post to those listed above.


1038

  1. Financial Officers report & signing of payments


Mr Martin reported that the following payments were due this month


Parish Council

Laura Childs Parish Clerk (May) & Expenses £ 227.00

Tim Martin RFO (May) reimbursement for payment £ 65.35

for domain name renewal (5 years)

HAPTC New Councillor training (Cllr Wears) £ 35.00 Play Safety RoSPA inspection (May) £ 61.80

7th Royston Scout Group Town House car park tidy up (materials) £ 200.00

Malcolm George March & April grass cutting £ 345.00

LCR NALC Website & Magazine subscription £ 17.00


It was agreed that these payments should be made.

Proposed by Cllr Clark and seconded by Cllr O’Brien


Town House

Carol Robinson Cleaning (May) & April underpayment of £10 £ 76.75

Busy Bee Various electrical works £ 227.50


It was agreed that these payments should be made.

Proposed by Cllr Turner and seconded by Cllr Slater


Two deposit cheques returned.

Scott Bradley £250.00

Annie Jameson £145.00


Cllr Carlisle asked Mr Martin to look at the current pay scales for Clerks and RFO’s to ensure that salaries are in line with NALC recommendations.


  1. Planning

No issues to be discussed.


  1. Town House

Cllr Turner reported that instructions had been given to Mr Darren Partt for the cement fillet to the roof to be repaired where the chimney meets with the roof tiles on the rear elevation. Cllr Carlisle spoke about the need to clear the moss from the roof and ensure that the gutters are clear of any debris. Discussions took place about placing some ‘gully hedgehogs’ in the gutters to prevent moss and leaves accumulating, Cllr Carlisle agreed to look into costs of these.


Mr Martin spoke about the Town House needing redecoration both inside and out.


Cllr Slater reported that further to a meeting with Drew & Baltrop, Janine Drew had picked up that the yellow strips still needed replacing on the staircase, otherwise she was happy that there were no current Health & Safety issues in relation to the Town House.


Cllr Turner requested that all relevant paperwork for the Town House, currently stored by Mrs Turner, be transferred to the Town House for secure storage. It was agreed that this was not a problem and Cllr Turner agreed to arrange for this to happen.


1039


It was discussed whether a telephone was required in the Town House as part of the Marriage Licence requirements. Once the relevant paperwork has been transferred back to the Town House this can be checked.


  1. Recreation Ground

The RoSPA report has just been received and Cllr Slater and Cllr Clark will review it and report any issues requiring attention at next months meeting.


Cllr Clark reported that a new padlock is required for the new gate installed recently in the fencing at the back of the Scout Hut. It was reported that no invoices have been received yet from the new contractors cutting the grass on the Plaistow. Cllr Clark agreed to speak with the contractors, Bullards, and ask them about the frequency of their invoicing and let them know that we do not have a meeting in August and so any invoices received after our July meeting date won’t be paid until September.


Cllr Turner reported concerns over a tree that is quite close to the tennis courts and wondered if there may be problems in the future due to root damage to the courts. The type of tree (Walnut) and its growing habits were discussed.


  1. Scout Hut

Mr Geoff Kavanagh, Group Leader of the 7th Royston Barkway Scout Group emailed Cllr Carlisle to let him know that discussions had taken place about the proposed new changing facilities to the rear of the current scout hut and that there were no objections raised. The scout group do however have some concerns over security of the buildings but those are discussions that can be held in the future. Cllr Carlisle will now ask Mr Tim Ashcroft of Sapele Design to proceed with discussions with NHDC planners with a view to a planning application being submitted at the earliest opportunity.


  1. Health & Safety

Cllr Slater reported that he had met with Janine Drew of Drew & Baltrop the previous week and that they have carried out a review of the risk assessments and safe working practices. Janine Drew has advised that if the Parish Council are to undertake any major works, such as proceeding with the building of the new changing facilities at the rear of the Scout Hut then we should adopt the suggested contractors terms and conditions that she has prepared. Janine Drew also queried how glass and bottles left over from functions held at the Town House are now disposed of safely further to the bottle banks being removed. Cllr Slater confirmed that they are now disposed of in the general waste or taken away for recycling by the people hiring the Town House.


  1. Parish Plan

Cllr O’Brien reported that all is going well, they have assembled a list of like minded ‘groups’ of people around the village to speak to about what they might want to be included within the Parish Plan. Plans are progressing to hold an information gathering event at the Village Show in July.


  1. Correspondence

A letter has been received from North Hertfordshire District Council regarding an application for neighbourhood area designation for Barkway and Nuthampstead. The application was discussed and it was agreed that this council had no comments to make.



1040





  1. Any other Business

The Clerk confirmed that she has written to the owners of Ideni, High Street regarding them parking on the pavement and the general thought was that the situation had improved. It was however noted that parking on the pavement was a frequent occurrence along Picknage Road. Cllr Turner suggested drafting a polite notice, requesting people not to park on the pavement and drawing their attention to the dangers it causes to pedestrians, which can be placed under windscreens. Cllr Turner agreed to draft something between them for circulation and agreement.


Cllr Clark had received a comment regarding the Cheddar Vine selling spirits as well as wine and whether this was in contravention of their licence. Cllr Carlisle confirmed that their licence allowed the sale of alcohol generally and sales were not restricted to just wine.






The meeting closed at 21.25pm






























1041