MINUTES FOR THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 6th JANUARY 2014


  1. Present

Cllr Jerry Carlisle (Chairman), Cllr Ian Turner, Cllr Tony Slater, Cllr Becky Wears, Cllr Graham Clark, Cllr Marc O’Brien, Mr Tim Martin (RFO), Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk)


1 member of the public


  1. Apologies

District Cllr Gerald Morris, Mrs Carole Turner


  1. Councillor’s Declaration of Interest

Cllr Turner declared an interest in the software that he has developed to assist the input of data for Speedwatch. This software may be sold to the police authorities.


Cllr Slater declared an interest in the planning application to be considered later in the meeting as an immediate neighbour of September Cottage.


  1. Minutes of Last Meeting

The minutes of the meeting held on 2nd November ’13 were read and approved.

Proposed by Cllr Clark and seconded by Cllr Turner.


  1. Matters Arising

Cllr Carlisle reported that Brian Haughey is continuing to liaise with Hertfordshire Highways regarding the installation of the grasscrete blocks for the police camera van and the poles for the speed activated signs and the other matters reported at the last meeting. Cllr Carlisle expressed the importance of keeping the momentum going for this.


Cllr Turner advised that both of the 30 mile an hour and the national speed limit signs had blown down in the recent strong winds as you approach the village from Flint Cross. Cllr Turner offered to re-erect them as a means of getting them replaced more quickly.


The Clerk reported that she had received a response from NHDC Planning department advising that neither planning permission nor listed buildings consent were required for the temporary repairs undertaken to the front wall of the Fox & Hounds Pub following the traffic accident. Concerns remain however that the necessary permanent repairs aren’t yet being undertaken.


The Clerk reported that she had enquired of Barkway Parish Council the background to the need for the Child Protection policy displayed on their website as a query had been raised as to whether Barley should also have such a policy. Barkway Parish Clerk advised that they were required to have such a policy in place due to a specific grant application that they had submitted on their pavilion project. Following discussion it was agreed that Barley did not need such a policy at this time.

1016


  1. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments


Mr Martin reported that the following payments were due this month


Parish Council

HMRC PAYE (Oct ~ Dec) £117.00

Hardcastle Burton Payroll services (Oct ~ Dec) £ 96.00

Hanson Homes Repairs to Town House roof & gutter £588.00

Laura Childs Parish Clerk (December) £136.80

Tim Martin RFO (Nov & Dec) £154.00

Malcolm George September ~ December

Village maintenance £569.10


It was agreed that these payments should be made.

Proposed by Cllr Turner and seconded by Cllr Clark


Town House

Alison Stacey Letting officer fee December £ 46.00

Carol Robinson Cleaning (December) £ 60.00

Vicky Stacey Cleaning (December) £ 22.50


It was agreed that these payments should be made.

Proposed by Cllr O’Brien and seconded by Cllr Slater


Cllr Carlisle explained that a payment of £930 was due to the tenant of the Clubroom. When the renovations were taking place the tenant opted to install her own heating system rather than the one that the Parish Council were proposing to install. It was however agreed at the time that the costs that the council would have incurred in connection with the heating system would be paid to the tenant towards the cost of the (improved) installation put in by the tenant. The system as installed by the tenant is nevertheless a landlord’s fixture so far as the lease is concerned.


Following last month’s meeting the slightly amended budget for 2014-2015, as prepared by Mr Martin, was reviewed and agreed. It was also agreed to keep the precept for 2014 - 2015 at the same level as 2013-2014 at £22,000.


  1. Planning

Full Planning Permission: Demolition of existing barns & garages (renewal of permission granted under LPA ref: 10/02659/1CAC). Case reference: 13/03043/1 Land at September Cottage, High Street, Barley, SG8 8JA


Cllr Carlisle explained that he had been advised by NHDC Planning Dept that a new application for the demolition of the existing buildings together with a new application for the proposed redevelopment of the site was not required as the permission for the redevelopment had effectively been activated by the discharge of some of the conditions and that element of the consent was therefore protected. Consequently the permission for demolition of the existing barns and garages is the only element of the previously approved scheme requiring a new application. He went on to confirm that he had also been advised by NHDC Planning Dept that there were no changes to the previously approved demolition proposals. Notwithstanding that NHDC had previously approved this proposed redevelopment the Councils position had also not changed and it was agreed that the objections that the Parish Council originally made still remain and the Clerk was asked to respond to NHDC accordingly.

1017


Cllr Turner passed a letter to the Chairman from an adjoining neighbour of Margaret House, Church End noting that building works had commenced and asking for information as to any changes that may have been made to the original application and permission. The letter was addressed to NHDC planning department and the Parish Council had only been copied into this letter for information, therefore no response was required.


Cllr O’Brien asked the Chairman to clarify comments made to Dst Cllr Morris at the Parish Council meeting in November regarding prospective development sites within the village, particularly along Picknage Road. The Chairman confirmed that those comments merely reiterated the Parish Councils’ position and response to the various consultations undertaken by NHDC over the last few years in connection with the proposed new NHDC Local Plan in respect of all the sites put forward in and around the village as possible sites for future development, not just along Picknage Road.


Cllr Carlisle and the Clerk agreed to liaise in order to produce a flyer and an entry for The Diary regarding the proposed preparation of a Parish Plan.


  1. Town House

Cllr Clark agreed to pass on details to Cllr Carlisle of who to contact regarding the Probation Service for Young Offenders assisting with the redecoration of the Town House.


Cllr Turner reported on behalf of Mrs Turner, Chairman of the Town House Committee that they have heard nothing further regarding their grant application to the Rural Community Halls Funding Scheme.


Mr Martin spoke about lettings being quite low this month, but that this wasn’t unusual for the time of year.


Cllr Turner explained that he has had little success in contact Busy Bee regarding electrical works that need to be carried out at the Town House. He would continue to chase Busy Bee but it was discussed that perhaps an alternative electrician needs to be sought.


  1. Plaistow

Cllr Clark reported that he has chased James King for a quote to make repairs to the fence at the back of the container and he is awaiting his quote. The gates are additionally still to be repaired. He understood that James King was in the process of producing this quote and it should be with us shortly.


  1. Scout Hut

Cllr Carlisle has now spoken with Mr Tim Ashcroft of Sapele Design with a view to him drawing up some provisional plans for extending the scout hut to include changing rooms and toilets etc for people using the Plaistow – football teams, tennis etc. Cllr Carlisle will now arrange a meeting at the Scout Hut with Tim Ashcroft and Geoff Kavanagh who is the Group Scout Leader for the 7th Royston Barkway Scout Group to take the project forward.


  1. Health & Safety

Cllr Slater said that there was nothing further to report at this time, although he had some new information from Janine Drew of Drew & Baltrop to read through and he would report at the next meeting if any changes were required.


1018


Cllr Turner reported that he was aware that the yellow strips have yet to be installed to the steps of the Town House stairs, but the matter was in hand, including consideration of a possible paint alternative being used to prevent the need to replace the strips quite so often.


  1. Correspondence

All correspondence received will be circulated around the Councillors.


  1. Any Other Business

The Chairman reported that he has been approached by a villager with concerns regarding a stable block that has been erected in the rear garden of 29 Picknage Road and a new dropped kerb cross over that has been constructed on the access road. Concerns were raised over whether planning permissions should have been sought prior to it being erected and the cross over constructed, and also about the possibility of smells etc. in the warmer weather and also potential problems with vermin. The Clerk agreed to contact NHDC Planning department to enquire.


Additionally concerns have been received regarding the resident of 30 Picknage Road, who is keeping chickens in their rear garden. Whilst this in itself is not an issue, it is understood that the chickens are released each morning through a gate that has been created in the perimeter fencing which then allows the chickens to escape to neighbouring gardens causing mess and damage. It is understood that the occupier of 30 Picknage Road is a tenant of Hertfordshire Homes and the Clerk agreed to write to Hertfordshire Homes to enquire if the tenant has sought the relevant permissions.


The Clerk reported that she has had several communications with Hertfordshire Highways and their contractors Ringway regarding the flooding problems across the main road on the corner outside The Fox & Hounds pub. It is understood that they are investigating the problem. Cllr Carlisle advised that PCSO Chris Braybrooke had also reported the issue to Hertfordshire Highways as this is very dangerous bend and there are grave concerns over it freezing if the weather turns colder.


Cllr Carlisle has received correspondence asking the Parish Council to support an application for local social housing for Roz Danter of the Tally Ho, Barkway. Roz was a former resident of Barley and would like to remain living in the local area. The Clerk agreed to write to Hertfordshire Homes and Howard Cottages.


Cllr Turner reported that a salt box has appeared on the road side opposite his house, after discussions it was wondered if this box was the one that the Parish Council requested last year for Greenbury Close. The Clerk agreed to make enquiries.


It was also reported that the salt bin at the end of Smith’s End Lane, where it meets Bogmore Road has disappeared. This is a very dangerous junction and needs to be replaced, the Clerk agreed to contact Hertfordshire Highways.


Cllr Carlisle advised that there is flooding again at the bridge along the B1039 between Great Chishill and Barley where the metal armco barriers were previously erected. The Clerk was asked to write to Gary Henning at Hertfordshire Highways to ask for the grips to be dug further into the ditch in order to be able to sufficiently drain water away.


There being no other business the meeting closed.


Meeting closed at 10pm

1019