MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 3rd SEPTEMBER 2012 AT 8PM






  1. Present: Cllr Jeremy Carlisle (Chairman), Cllr Ian Turner, Cllr Geoff Kavanagh, Cllr Marc OBrien, Timothy Martin (Financial Officer), Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk)


12 members of the public


  1. Apologies: Cllr Graham Clark, Cllr Tony Slater, Dst Cllr Gerald Morris


  1. Minutes of meeting on 9th July 2012

The minutes of the meeting on 9th July 2012 were read and approved.


Proposed by Cllr M OBrien and seconded by Cllr G Kavanagh


  1. Matters Arising

The Clerk has written to MD Landscapes regarding the Method Statements and Risk Assessments required for the grass cutting of the Plaistow and following a subsequent conversation has been promised that the required documents will be with us shortly.


Cllr Carlisle has now met with Hertfordshire Highways and understood that a couple of the items discussed had been carried out. There are however a number of other issues outstanding and he requested the Clerk to contact Gary Henning to ascertain what was happening with regard to these items.


  1. Proposed Diversion of Part of Footpath 14

An application has been made by Mr Angus Thirlwell (present at the meeting) to divert part of Footpath 14 which currently runs through the gardens of Brunel Barn, The Tithe Barn and Crown House. The proposed diversion, which is currently being used as a permissive route, would run wholly on land within the ownership of Old Manor Lodge and The Old Manor. Mr Thirlwell advised the meeting that he had been approached by Hertfordshire County Council following an application he had made to divert the route in 2002. At that time the County Council had advised him that they had insufficient resource to deal with his application but as they have recently introduced a new way of working, whereby applicants undertake the majority of preparation and consultation work themselves, Mr Thirwell has decided to take forward this application again. The history of the footpath was discussed amongst the Councillors and the members of the public present (all of whom are residents of Shaftenhoe End). Various comments were made with the main view from the members of public who expressed an opinion, being in favour of the diversion of this part of Footpath 14. Cllr Carlisle spoke to express the Councillors view that whilst they understood the desire of the residents directly affected, to re-route the current footpath, it was also incumbent on the Parish Council to look at the application as abigger pictureand was anxious to ensure that a precedent would not be set in relation to any other footpaths within the parish, where diversions may at some future point be proposed, by the diversion of this particular footpath. It was agreed by the Councillors that they would defer a decision until the next meeting (3rd October) to allow time to take advice from Hertfordshire County Council, Rights of Way Service and The Ramblers associations.


Following this agenda item all members of the public left the meeting.




952

  1. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments


Payments this month


Parish Council

Malcolm George Grass cutting June & July £ 405.00

Tim Martin Financial Officers fee (July & August) £ 129.60

Laura Childs Parish Clerk (July & August) £ 266.40

Sapele Design Project management & drainage issues £ 781.68


It was proposed by Cllr I Turner and seconded by Cllr M OBrien that the payments should be made.


Town House

Carol Robinson Cleaning (July) £ 77.00

Carol Robinson Cleaning (August) £ 62.00

Prompt Fire Protection Annual inspection £ 125.42

Busy Bee Security lamp installation to car park £ 590.94

Busy Bee Replaced consumer unit £ 497.69


It was proposed by Cllr M OBrien and seconded by Cllr I Turner that the payments should be made.


Mr Martin informed the meeting that the new chairs for the Townhouse are soon to be delivered with remaining 50% then due for payment.


Additionally Mr Martin advised that he felt we should be looking to change the electricity supplier to the Townhouse in October and he will shortly be comparing different supplier prices available. He will also consider whether or not we are on the correct tariff for the Town House given its use.


  1. Speeding Issues

Cllr Turner advised that some upgrades to the software used to input drivers caught speeding was required and that he is trying to set up a meeting with Herts Police. Some more volunteers would be appreciated.


  1. Planning

Insertion of four windows and one rooflight in west elevation, two pairs of glazed doors and one rooflight in east elevation and one window in gable of north elevation. Insertion of partition and pair of doors to front of cart lodge at Brunel’s Barn, Shaftenhoe End Road, Barley. Planning ref: 12/01590/1HH & 12/01595/1LB

This application was discussed at an interim meeting held in August and it was unanimously agreed that there were no objections.


  1. Town House

Cllr Turner advised that thought should be given shortly to the exterior of the Townhouse with the render needing painting etc. Cllr Carlisle recommended contacting the Community Services would use young offenders to undertake this type of community work.


Cllr O’Brien requested a copy of the new letting agreement to put on the village website along with up to date charges for the hire of the Townhouse. Cllr Turner recommended he speak to Mrs Stacey for this information.


  1. Recreation Ground

Cllr Turner reported that the main gate to the Plaistow was now falling apart and needed repairing or replacing as a matter of urgency. Additionally it was reported that the stile into the Doggetts field at the rear of the Plaistow also needed some repair works. Cllr Carlisle asked the Clerk to liaise with Cllr Clark (on his return from holiday) to get a quote for the required works from James King.


953

Cllr Carlisle asked the Clerk to ensure that we receive the Risk Assessments and Method Statements from MD Landscapes as a matter of urgency now, and insist that they arrive before the next meeting.


  1. Club Room

Cllr Carlisle shared the proposed signage from the new Club Room tenant with the meeting and all Councillors expressed their approval. The tenant will shortly be submitting these designs for planning approval.


Plans have also been received from Project 5 Architectsas builtfit out drawings for our records.

  1. Scout Hut

Cllr Kavanagh advised that there had been no further progress with this project, save for a few minor repairs to the fabric of the existing building.

12. Health & Safety

In the absence of Cllr Slater there was nothing further to report.


13. Correspondence


All correspondence received was to be circulated to Councillors.


14. Any other Business


Cllr Carlisle asked if all Councillors had now seen the New Code of Conduct, distributed via email with the changes made to the declaration of interests section. All present reported that they had seen it. Cllr Carlisle proposed and it was unanimously agreed that this latest version be adopted and to supersede the previous version already accepted by Barley Parish Council. Councillors are required to complete the Register of Members Interest, Notice of Disclosable Pecuniary interests and return them to the Clerk for compiling before being forwarded to the appropriate officer at NHDC.


Mr Martin advised that he has renewed the Councils subscription to the LCR magazine.


Cllr O’Brien had received an email saying that the District Land Allocation Plan has been put on hold for further consultation.


Cllr Carlisle and Cllr Turner have both received complaints from parishioners regarding the hedges that border London Road just past the lock-up towards Barkway. The Clerk was asked to write to the home owners responsible for these hedges to request that they are cut back. It has been reported that it is particularly difficult for HGVs and other high sided vehicles to pass each other on this stretch of the road.


Cllr Kavanagh reported that he has a quantity of the Diamond Jubilee Commemorative Coins left unclaimed. The Clerk agreed to place a notice in The Diary, asking people to come forward and claim them.


Cllr Kavanagh advised that he has now moved from the village but would like to remain in position as a Councillor on Barley Parish Council for the time being. Cllr Carlisle thanked him for this and asked the Clerk to check with HAPTC if this is allowed and for how long he can remain as a Councillor whilst not living within the parish anymore.





The meeting closed at 10.35pm






954