MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 1st OCTOBER 2012 AT 8PM




  1. Present: Cllr Jeremy Carlisle (Chairman), Cllr Ian Turner, , Cllr Marc OBrien, Cllr Graham Clark, Cllr Tony Slater, Mr Timothy Martin (Financial Officer), Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk)


6 members of the public


  1. Apologies: Dst Cllr Gerald Morris, Cllr Geoff Kavanagh


  1. Minutes of meeting on 3rd September 2012

The minutes of the meeting on 3rd September 2012 had been circulated to councillors prior to the meeting.


Cllr OBrien asked that an amendment be made to Any Other Business regarding the information on the District Land Allocation Plan. Cllr OBrien had read the report in The Royston Crow and did not receive an email as previously recorded.


The minutes as amended were approved.


Proposed by Cllr M OBrien and seconded by Cllr I Turner


  1. Matters Arising

The Clerk has been advised by Mark of MD Landscapes that he has requested a specialist to write up the required Method Statements and Risk Assessments and the Clerk has been advised that these documents will be with us shortly.


The Clerk advised that she had now received email correspondence (as distributed to the Councillors) from Gary Henning of Hertfordshire Highways regarding the rest of the outstanding issues discussed with Cllr Carlisle at a meeting in July. The Council were happy that all issues agreed were on a schedule of works to be completed.


Further complaints have been received regarding the overhanging hedges and trees on London Road. The Clerk confirmed that she had written to the residents concerned and requested that they have the hedges / trees cut back. Cllr Carlisle requested that the Clerk write again to these households and express the urgency to get these works carried out.


The Clerk has received confirmation (from HAPTC) that Cllr Kavanagh may remain on Barley Parish Council until the end of his term of office, although as he is no longer a resident of the village he would not be eligible to stand for re-election.


  1. Proposed Diversion of Part of Footpath 14

Cllr Carlisle reported that further to the discussions at our last meeting, advice has been sought from the Ramblers Association and Hertfordshire County Council. Cllr Carlisle also advised that a petition (organised by one of the owners of the properties that would benefit from the proposed diversion) had been presented to the Parish Council supporting the proposed diversion. Cllr Carlisle reported that he and Cllr Slater met with the local Ramblers Association representative, Mr David Allard, at the site of the proposed diversion. Mr Allard had expressed some concerns over the current proposed diversion and suggested that if there is to be a diversion of this particular section of Footpath 14 then there is perhaps a better alternative route, of which they would be more supportive. This alternative route was discussed with those members of the public present who were attending the meeting to again show their support for the proposed diversion.


955



Cllr Carlisle then advised the meeting that email correspondence has been received from Carol Ramsden of Birketts LLP (agents acting on behalf of Mr Angus Thirlwell, who is the applicant) formally requesting that the Parish Council defer its consideration of the matter until the alternative route, suggested by the Ramblers Association has been properly investigated It is understood that some of the land affected by this alternative route belongs to another land owner and Ms Ramsden acknowledged in her correspondence that this is a complex issue which could take a considerable time to resolve and additionally the applicant was unable to attend this meeting as he was abroad. To complicate matters further Cllr Carlisle reported that he had been advised by Mr Allard that another application to move a different part of Footpath 14 would shortly be received (from a different agent) and Cllr Carlisle considered that if that were the case then the Council will need to carefully consider both applications together rather than on a piecemeal basis.


An exchange of views took place between members of the public and the Council with Cllr Carlisle eventually drawing a close to public participation on this agenda item. Four members of the public then left the meeting and Cllr Carlisle advised those members of public still present that whilst they were welcome to remain at the meeting there would be no further questions/comments received from the floor.


There followed further discussions by the Councillors regarding the diversion proposed by Mr Thirlwell and the alternative route suggested by the Ramblers Association and the impact that the potential other application affecting a different part of Footpath 14 would have on these suggested diversions and the consequent overall re-routing of Footpath 14. Discussions also took place regarding the undoubted financial benefits to the few householders directly benefitting from the proposed footpath diversion without any such benefit accruing to the wider community and the Councils parishoners in particular and whether or not this should form any part of the Councils considerations when finally determining in due course whether to support or object to the proposed diversion(s).


Following this agenda item the remaining members of the public left the meeting.


  1. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments


Payments this month


Parish Council

B.D.O. Goverment Audit of accounts £ 342.00

Tim Martin Financial Officers fee (September) £ 39.79

Laura Childs Parish Clerk (September) £ 144.00

MD Landscapes Grass cutting of the Plaistow June, July & August £ 474.00

Came & Co. Parish Council Insurance £1,914.20


It was proposed by Cllr I Turner and seconded by Cllr M OBrien that the payments should be made.


Town House

Carol Robinson Cleaning (Sept) £ 30.00

Vanessa Martin Caretaking (June) £ 50.00

Alison Stacey Letting Officer & Caretaking fees (Jun ~ Sept) £ 257.50

Advanced Moulds Balance for new chairs £3,114.44


It was proposed by Cllr G Clark and seconded by Cllr T Slater that the payments should be made.


Mr Martin advised that a letter has been sent to NHDC regarding the grant for the chairs and the grant monies should be received back from them shortly.


956

Mr Martin has been advised that the electricity meter will need to be changed in the Townhouse and he has arranged for this work to be undertaken. He also advised that appropriate alternative tariffs were being sought.


  1. Speeding Issues

Cllr Turner advised the meeting that Special Constables will now be joining Speed Watch and will hold the authority to charge drivers caught speeding. Additionally when drivers have been caught consistently speeding and are issued with a 3rd letter of warning, this will now be delivered by hand by a police officer. All these measures can only add weight to the Speed Watch activities and reinforce the message.


  1. Planning

No applications to consider


  1. Town House

The new chairs have arrived and were complimented by the Council. Cllr Turner noted that whilst they were pleased with them, they had seen some of the paint chipping off the framework already and would monitor this and advise the suppliers as necessary.


Cllr Turner reported that the Town House committee are due to meet later this week and Cllr Slater requested that they ensure that a Fire Alarm Book, used to log testing of the Fire Alarm be added to the agenda.

  1. Recreation Ground

The Clerk is to provide Cllr Clark with the contact details for James King so that he could call him regarding getting a quote to repair the main gate and posts to the Plaistow which are now in need of repair/replacement. He will additionally get a quote for repairs to the stile into the adjoining field at the rear of the Plaistow. Also the fencing to the childrens play area had recently suffered some vandalism and was now in need of urgent repair. Mr King would be asked to include the necessary repairs to this area in his quotation.


Cllr Carlisle also spoke about the need to write to households that back onto the Plaistow to ensure that no access is gained from their gardens. It has been noted that some residents have recently installed gateways/stiles, which are not allowed.


  1. Club Room

Cllr Carlisle advised that he has received an email inviting all Councillors to the opening evening, to be held later this week.

  1. Scout Hut

In the absence of Cllr Kavanagh there was nothing further to report.

13. Health & Safety

Cllr Slater advised in addition to the items previously noted above that the perimeter fencing to the Plaistow needs some repair work generally and Cllr Clark agreed to ask James King to quote for this when he meets with him. Cllr Slater additionally requested that the need for a deep clean of the kitchens in the Town House be added to the agenda for the Town House Committee meeting later this week.


14. Correspondence

Cllr Carlisle has received a letter from Heydon & Gt Chishill Womens Institute asking to plant 2 trees in the Parish as part of the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations. After discussions it was agreed that they would be best placed along the existing tree line in the Plaistow. Cllr Carlisle agreed to liaise with the W.I. as to the appropriate planting location.


All other correspondence received was to be circulated to Councillors.



957






15. Any other Business

The Clerk has received correspondence requesting that the Sycamore tree that overhangs the bottle banks in the car park at the rear of the Town House be trimmed back. The branches are causing an obstruction when the bottle banks are emptied. Cllr Carlisle asked the Clerk to apply for permission from North Herts District Council as the tree stands in a Conservation area.







The meeting closed at 10.45pm













































958