MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 5th NOVEMBER 2012 AT 8PM




  1. Present: Cllr Jeremy Carlisle (Chairman), Cllr Ian Turner, Cllr Marc OBrien, Cllr Graham Clark, Cllr Tony Slater, District Cllr Gerald Morris, County Cllr Tony Hunter, Mr Timothy Martin (Financial Officer), Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk)


6 members of the public


  1. Apologies: Cllr Geoff Kavanagh


  1. Minutes of meeting on 1st October 2012

The minutes of the meeting on 1st October 2012 had been circulated to councillors prior to the meeting.


It was requested than an amendment be made to the minutes stating that it was Cllr Clark who requested that the Town House Committee ensure that a Fire Alarm Book, used to log testing of the Fire Alarm be added to the agenda of their next meeting and not Cllr Slater as previously recorded.


The minutes as amended were approved.


Proposed by Cllr M OBrien and seconded by Cllr G Clark


  1. Matters Arising

Despite previous assurances the Clerk advised that she has still not received any Method Statements or Risk Assessments from MD Landscapes. The Clerk agreed to continue pursing this matter.


It was noted that the overhanging hedges and trees on London Road have now been cut back.


Cllr Carlisle advised that someone has driven into the barrier outside of the school.


Heydon & Gt Chishill Womens Institute have planted 2 trees in the Plaistow, as agreed, as part of the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations, unfortunately however one of them has already been vandalised.


The Clerk confirmed that a planning application has been submitted to cut back the Sycamore tree that is overhanging the recycling containers in the car park at the back of the Town House.


  1. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments


Payments this month


Parish Council

Hardcastle Burton Payroll services £ 78.00

Tim Martin Financial Officers fee (October) £ 41.20

Laura Childs Parish Clerk (October) £ 151.20

Malcolm George Grass cutting August / September £ 445.00


It was proposed by Cllr I Turner and seconded by Cllr T Slater that the payments should be made.




959

Town House

Carol Robinson Cleaning (October) £ 79.00

Alison Stacey Letting Officer & Caretaking fees (October) £ 166.50

It was proposed by Cllr T Slater and seconded by Cllr M OBrien that the payments should be made.


A wedding deposit cheque was returned to Mr Comyn for £150.00.


Mr Martin advised that he has finally had notice from British Gas that we will be receiving a refund of £390 for over charges made by them. Additionally we have received a refund of £2,984 from Scottish Power, with whom we had accrued credit due to estimated readings. Thanks were expressed to Carol Robinson for reading the meters for the last year. Mr Martin confirmed that we have remained with Scottish Power as the supplier but on a lower tariff. Cllr Carlisle thanked Mr Martin for all his efforts with thissagaas it has taken some 4050 hours to sort out, none of which Mr Martin has charged the Parish Council for.


Mr Martin advised that no matters arose from our external audit by B.D.O.


Cllr Slater requested that any rent monies received from the Club Room be put towards specific projects within the village rather than be lost within the main account, leaving the precept for the general day to day issues that arise.


  1. Planning

Proposed diversion of Footpath 14

Despite this not being an agenda item this month, Mr Angus Thirlwell had contacted the Parish Council to request 5 minutes to give an update on the application. Mr Thirlwell explained that the residents of Shaftenhoe End involved with this application had got together to think of something that they could give back to the community to encourage a positive outcome with regard to this application. They thought that something like a permanent map showing footpaths throughout the Parish would be a suitable donation perhaps along with the planting of some conservation hedges and wild flowers along the route to add to the enjoyment of the walkers.


The alternative route that had been suggested by the Ramblers Association was discussed and Mr Thirlwell explained that due to the complexities involved with this route, involving 3 separate land owners, the residents preferred option was still the existing permissive route to be made permanent. Cllr Carlisle advised Mr Thirwell that as he had explained at the last Council meeting, which Mr Thirwell had not been able to attend, that the Council understood that there is an additional pending application to move another part of Footpath 14 further up and that once this application has been received it would be preferable to consider the two applications together.


A member of the public, who is one of the residents directly affected by this part of Footpath 14, asked if the Chairman would read out a statement that he had prepared. This statement was written on the basis that the content represented the view of the Parish Council regarding this application. Having read the statement to the meeting Cllr Carlisle stated immediately that the content of the prepared statement was absolutely not the view of the Parish Council.


Cllr Carlisle asked Mr Thirlwell to explore further the proposed footpath diversion put forward by the Ramblers Association as this tied in with the possible diversion of Footpath 14 further up the route and potentially offered a way forward to resolve this issue for everyone involved.


Mary Penny Close, Shaftenhoe End, Barley

The new purchasers of this property requested an informal meeting with the Parish Council to seek their advice for some minor modifications to the pre-approved plans. Cllr Carlisle outlined previous concerns that the Parish Council had had about the original application and as none of these were being breached by the revised scheme the Parish Council could see no reason why they would object to the revisions should a planning application covering the proposed amendments be made.

960

Demolition of existing extensions and erection of new two storey and single storey rear extensions. The Laurels, High Street, Barley ~ Ref: 12/02303/1CAC & 12/02245/1HH

The application was discussed and it was unanimously agreed that there were no objections.


Insertion of two dormer windows in front roof slope. Slaters, Bakers Lane, Barley, SG8 8HJ ~ Ref: 12/02384/1HH

The application was discussed and it was unanimously agreed that there were no objections.


  1. Speeding Issues

Cllr Turner advised the meeting that despite their efforts it appears from their records that speeds are increasing and with some repeat offenders. Additional powers to note drivers also using their mobile phones whilst driving have been given by the police.


  1. Town House

A discussion took place regarding a deep clean and possible redecoration of the Town House, Cllr Turner agreed to discuss with the Town House Committee.


Mr Martin reported that he has gone back to the supplier of the new chairs regarding the paint chipping off the frames and he is awaiting a reply and resolution.


Cllr Turner agreed to liaise with Cllr Slater to undertake a Health & Safety review of the Town House ensuring that they test the smoke alarms and security.

  1. Recreation Ground

Cllr Clark reported that he has received a quote from James King to repair the main gate and posts to the Plaistow for £310. The quote to repair the general fencing, the fence to the play area and also the kissing gate is £445. It was agreed with a total of £755 that Cllr Clark should instruct James King to go ahead with all of the required works.


Cllr Clark advised the meeting that the general state of the Plaistow is poor at the moment, with damage being done to the play equipment and lots of litter about.


Cllr Clark reported that the football team have not been in touch this season and were not using the pitch. A discussion took place as to why this might be and Cllr Clark agreed to call his contact to find out why.


  1. Club Room

Cllr Carlisle reported that all seems to be going well with the new business.

  1. Scout Hut

In the absence of Cllr Kavanagh there was nothing further to report, although Cllr Carlisle felt that this should be the next major project to focus on.

13. Health & Safety

Cllr Slater advised that a meeting has been arranged with Drew & Baltrop to review H&S on 21st November12.


14. Correspondence

The Clerk has received email correspondence from Cambridge University Scouts Association with regards to a local hiking event taking place shortly. The Clerk was asked to inform the local scout group that this event is taking place, just in case they are not aware.


A letter has been received from NHDC advising that the 2013/2014 Precept requirements are due at the end of January 2013. Mr Martin advised that he will prepare a budget and circulate to the Councillors for discussion at our next meeting


All other correspondence received was to be circulated to Councillors.

961


15. Any other Business

County Cllr Hunter advised that the new Highways contractor Ringway had now started their contract but Gary Henning would remain as our contact for highways issues.


It was reported that a lot of localised flooding had occurred throughout the village during the recent heavy rainfall and it was felt that the gullies should be cleared. The Clerk agreed to contact Gary Henning of Herts Highways to request that this be undertaken.


District Cllr Morris spoke about the disturbing recent spate of burglaries that had been carried out in Barley. It was generally felt that these were targeted crimes, and that people would certainly be more vigilant following these events. It was not known if anyone has been apprehended with regard to these burglaries.





The meeting closed at 10.45pm











































962