MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 9th JULY 2012 AT 8PM






  1. Present: Cllr Jeremy Carlisle (Chairman), Cllr Ian Turner, Cllr Geoff Kavanagh, Cllr Marc OBrien, Cllr Graham Clark, Cllr Tony Slater, Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk)


  1. Apologies: Mr Timothy Martin (Financial Officer), Dst Cllr Gerald Morris


  1. Minutes of meeting on 11th June 2012

The minutes of the meeting on 11th June 2012 were read.


Mr Martin requested that an amendment be made to Any Other Business regarding the purchase of a new roof for one of the marquees by Jack Shepherd (formerly of the Show Committee). Mr Martin was merely concerned about the details and cost of this roof for insurance purposes only as we insure these items. Purchasing is solely down to the Show Committee.


The minutes were approved.


Proposed by Cllr M OBrien and seconded by Cllr I Turner


  1. Matters Arising

The security lighting on the new pole in the car park at the rear of the Town House has now been connected. A padlock has also been purchased to secure the bollard and the 3 keys given to Alison Stacey. It was suggested that one be given Carole Turner (Chair to the Town House Committee) for safe keeping, Cllr Slater agreed to organise this.


The Clerk confirmed that despite contacting MD Landscapes no Risk Assessments had been received. It was agreed that the Clerk should formerly write to request that these be sent as a matter of urgency.


Cllr OBrien continues with preparation of our response/proposals for the proposed new Landscape Character Assessment ~ Local Community Value relating to Barley. It is hoped that these will form the basis of a Landscape Character Assessment being compiled by NHDC to be used, in relation to Barley, as background policy in decision making to guide any future development within the rural areas of the district. Cllr OBrien confirmed that he was mindful of the 20th August deadline date and hoped to distribute his initial thoughts to all Councillors shortly.


Cllr Carlisle confirmed that he is due to meet with Hertfordshire Highways later this week and would be raising the following issues; finishing off works to Church End, the junction of Shaftenhoe Road, the works to the bridge on the B1039 between Great Chishill and Barley and gully clearance. Cllr Slater asked if he would also raise the problem ofpooling wateron a dangerous bend on the Cambridge Road towards Flint Cross, this has been a recurring problem and whilst works to remedy it had been carried out previously the issue was occurring again. Cllr Turner asked if it could be checked if there is a 30 mile-an-hour sign on Shaftenhoe End Road. Cllr Slater also raised the point that general signage within the village was somewhat out of date and should perhaps be reviewed.





949

  1. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments


Payments this month


Parish Council

Hardcastle Burton Internal Audit report £ 420.00

Hardcastle Burton PAYE for Mr Martin & Mrs Childs (HMRC) £ 126.00

Tim Martin Reimbursed payment for Domain Name £ 11.98

Laura Childs Parish Clerk (June) £ 129.60

Drew & Baltrop H&S Consultancy work £ 960.00

Playsafely RoSPA inspection of playground & Plaistow £ 79.20

NALC LCR Subscription to magazine £ 15.50

HAPTC Clerk training course £ 30.00

Grahm Clark Reimbursed payment to Unlimited Logos for £ 42.00

No Dogs’ sign to playground

MD Landscapes April & May grass cutting of the Plaistow £ 222.00

Insignia Coins for Jubilee Celebrations £ 325.67

Geoff Kavanagh Reimbursed for expenses at Jubilee Celebrations £ 155.40

Hanson Homes Third stage final bill (excluding retention) £ 4704.00

Hanson Homes Release of retention £ 1023.60

Curwens Legal services for Clubroom agreement for lease £ 2105.00

& car parking licence

It was proposed by Cllr T Slater and seconded by Cllr M OBrien that the payments should be made.


Town House

Carol Robinson Cleaning (June) £ 63.00

Tim Martin Reimbursed payment for chair samples £ 69.91

Advanced Moulds New chairs £3150.00


It was proposed by Cllr M OBrien and seconded by Cllr G Clark that the payments should be made.


  1. Speeding Issues

Cllr Turner advised that the Speed Watch team had been able to conduct some checks recently and had noted a lot of people either speeding or on their mobile phones.


  1. Planning

Retention of steps and decking to front garden Hops Cottage, 3 Shaftenhoe End, Barley, Herts, SG8 8LD ~ ref: 12/01530/1HH

The application was discussed and it was unanimously agreed that there were no objections.


  1. Town House

Cllr Turner advised that the Committee had agreed to go ahead with the purchase of the chairs having seen the samples. He also confirmed that Busy Bee had been instructed to proceed with replacing the consumer unit at a cost of £500.


  1. Recreation Ground

Cllr Slater confirmed that he had received the report from RoSPA for the annual inspection of the Playground and Plaistow. He advised that all points raised were considered as low risk with a note of advice given to look at some wear and splitting of wood to the fences.


Cllr Turner advised that one of the gates to the Plaistow is collapsing as the posts are rotting away and repair works need to be carried out. Additionally thegapto the side of the kissing gate needs to be blocked off to keep motorbikes from riding on the Plaistow.



950



It was noted that the meadow between the 2 gates to the Plaistow needs strimming and it was agreed to ask Malcolm George to carry out this work.


Cllr Clark reported that he had been approached regarding getting some new equipment in the play area and he agreed to looking into possible grants / funding.


  1. Club Room

Cllr Carlisle advised that repairs had been carried out to the sump pump in the basement of the Clubroom. It was discussed and agreed that and additional payment should be made to Sapele Design for the extra time that he had spent on the project, over and above that he previously quoted for. Cllr Carlisle agreed to speak to Mr Ashcroft of Sapele Design to ascertain what amount was outstanding. It has been agreed that the tenant is to set up a standing order to pay the quarterly rent.


  1. Scout Hut

Cllr Kavanagh confirmed that he is now seeking costs for abrick builtversion of the prefabricated building he already has provisional costs for.

12. Health & Safety

Cllr Slater reported that a new Health & Safety Policy has been received from Drew & Baltrop. The updated letting conditions for the Town House have also been received and Cllr Slater will pass these on to Carole Turner (Town House Chair) to implement.

All of the Risk Assessments have been received and the next review has been scheduled for Spring 2013. A Financial Risk Assessment is required and Mr Martin has agreed to provide a copy of the form of assessment that we are currently using for Drew & Barltrop to review. The only item now outstanding with the Town House (on completion of the works to the consumer unit and receipt of the replacement chairs) was for a deep clean of the kitchens and toilets to be arranged.


13. Correspondence


All correspondence received was to be circulated to Councillors.


14. Any other Business


A draft of the New Code of Conduct has now been compiled and distributed via email from NALC. Cllr Carlisle asked all Councillors to read it and proposed that the Council resolve to adopt it as of 1st July, subject to it being personalised to Barley Parish Council.


It was proposed by Cllr G Kavanagh and seconded by Cllr M O’Brien that the Code of Conduct be adopted.


It was noted that a lot of footpaths within the village were very overgrown, but acknowledged that with the current weather conditions it had been too wet for cutting work to be carried out.


Cllr Slater requested that the footpath at the back of the Plaistow be strimmed, he agreed to speak to Malcolm George to carry out the work.





The meeting closed at 10.20pm








951