MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 6TH FEBRUARY 2012 AT 8PM




  1. Present: Cllr Jeremy Carlisle (Chairman); Cllr Ian Turner, Cllr Marc OBrien, Cllr Graham Clark, Cllr Tony Slater, Cllr Geoff Kavanagh, Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk)


In Attendance: 1 member of the public


  1. Apologies: Dst Cllr Gerald Morris, Mr Timothy Martin (Financial Officer)


  1. Minutes of meeting on 9th January 2012

The minutes of the meeting on 9th January 2012 were read and approved.


Proposed by Cllr G Clark and seconded by Cllr M OBrien


  1. Matters Arising

Following discussions with Jamie Sells at NHDC regarding the repairs carried out to the footpath at the rear of the Town House, the Clerk explained that Jamie reluctantly has accepted that the Parish Council are not prepared to contribute towards the cost of the repairs. Jamie additionally has offered to erect a bollard on the pavement at the end of pavement (nearest to the Scout Hut) to prevent any vehicles from mounting the pavement and damaging the path again. Cllr Turner advised the meeting that he is of the belief that during the works to repair the path the metal pole that holds the security light just to the side of the path has been dislodged and a poor repair affected. The Clerk agreed to speak to Jamie Sells to request that a repair is undertaken as soon as possible, as the pole is precarious in its current state.


Further to the news given at last months meeting regarding the number 31 bus service ceasing, Cllr OBrien has since found out that the service has been given a reprieve for one year.


In the absence of Mr Martin, in his capacity of Parish Council Governor to Barley School there was no further news to impart regarding the relocation of the safety barrier.


Cllr Carlisle advised that the supply of winter salt has been delivered and available for distribution when required. Cllr Carlisle advised that he has been approached by Malcolm George, a resident of Greenbury Close, requesting a salt bin to be placed at the entrance to the Close, where it joins London Road. The Clerk agreed to contact Hertfordshire Highways to request one. In the meantime Cllr Carlisle had advised Mr George that he could use some of the winter salt stock to clear the ice.


Despite the Clerk writing to the owners of The Ramblers in the High Street, the residents continue to park on the pavement and no correspondence has been received informing the Parish Council of any pre-existing permissions to park in that location. It was agreed that the Clerk should contact the police to ascertain what could be done.


The Clerk confirmed that British Telecom have now repaired the telephone in the Town House.




930










  1. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments


Payments this month


Parish Council

Laura Childs Parish Clerk (January) £ 122.40

CDA Annual fee (Community Development Agency) £ 30.00

Curwens Abortive fee for previous Clubroom letting £ 608.00

Herts County Council Road opening licence (Clubroom) £ 654.00

Herts County Council Road closing fee (Clubroom) £1024.00

Charles Tallack Structural engineer survey (Clubroom) £ 612.00


It was proposed by Cllr G Clark and seconded by Cllr I Turner that the payments should be made.

Town House

Carol Robinson Cleaning (January) £ 60.00

Alison Stacey Letting fees (January) £117.00

It was proposed by Cllr G Kavanagh and seconded by Cllr M OBrien that the payments should be made.


  1. Diamond Jubilee Celebrations

Monday 5th June was agreed as the date for the village celebrations and Cllr Carlisle spoke about previous celebrations that had been held in the village to celebrate the Silver and Golden Jubilees, it was agreed that these events had been a success and that the Diamond Jubilee Celebrations should at least follow some sort of similar structure. Cllr Kavanagh had a provisional list of ideas and it was agreed that further volunteers should be sought to set up a working committee to organise the event further. Alison Gibson attended the meeting on behalf of FOBs (Friends of Barley School) and offered their support. Cllr Kavanagh spoke about minting a commemorative coin for the children of the village and it was agreed that the Parish Council would donate £500 towards the cost of this. The Clerk will place a notice in The Diary advising tosave the dateand asking for volunteers to contact Cllr Kavanagh. It was additionally decided that a leaflet would be hand delivered asking residents to register their childrens entitlement to a commemorative coin and advising them of planned events for the day, Cllr Clark volunteered to deliver these.


  1. Speeding Issues

Cllr Turner reported that due to the weather January had been a quiet month, although some Speed Watch sessions had been undertaken.


  1. Planning


Planning Application Reference 12/00142/1Extension to existing bus garage. The Garage, High Street, Barley, Royston, SG8 8JA

Following discussions it was unanimously agreed that there were no objections to this application, the Clerk will respond accordingly.


Re-routing of Footpath 15, Barley. Minchinbury, Shaftenhoe End, Barley

Following extensive discussions it was agreed that the Parish Council would object to this application. It was thought that with no obvious benefits to anyone else within the community and with several other contentious footpaths throughout the village, by allowing this path to be re-routed, a dangerous precedence would be set.




931




  1. Town House

Cllr Turner advised that the Town House management committee were awaiting a decision on a grant application and then would be in a position to proceed with replacing the much needed chairs. He also confirmed that required electrical works had now been undertaken. The Town House committee are due to meet on Wednesday 15th February and Cllr Turner asked that other Councillors attend the meeting.


  1. Recreation Ground

Cllr Clark has drawn up provisional Terms & Conditions for the leasing of the Plaistow Football pitch, and he asked for comments on this. The Clerk agreed to place a notice in The Diary, asking those interested in using the pitches to contact Cllr Clark or Cllr Kavanagh. Cllr Slater advised that the latches on the gates to the play area are not working. Cllr Clark agreed to take a look at an alternative closing system.


11. Club Room

Cllr Carlisle confirmed that the revised application for change of use has now been granted and that the tenancy agreement is now progressing. The works continue to progress well with just the sewer works causing any significant delay. Having previously been advised that no road closures would be necessary it now transpires that this will in fact be required, unfortunately adding to a delay in completion and additional expense.


12. Scout Hut

No further progress to report.


13. Picknage Road Allotments

The water supply has yet to be connected, Cllr Turner will try and contact Nick White to arrange. There is also an amount of waste, left over from when the site was originally dug over, that needs to be removed by James King.


14. Health & Safety

Cllr Slater reported that part of the post and rail fencing to the Plaistow needs repairing. It was agreed that James King would be approached to undertake this work and to additionally remove the rubbish from the allotments.


Cllr Slater advised that the Fire Alarm in the Town House needs to be tested every six months and Cllr Turner agreed to contact the maintenance contractor to undertake this test.


15. Correspondence

A questionnaire regarding street cleaning standards has been received from NHDC but it was agreed that none of the questions related to Barley as we only receive gully clearance and occasional road sweeping, the Clerk agreed to respond as such.


Malcolm George has submitted his annual quotations for the Parish grass cutting (£1,500) and maintenance of the children’s playground (£600) at the Plaistow, it was unanimously agreed to accept these and the Clerk agreed to write to confirm this.


All other correspondence received was to be circulated to Councillors.


16. Any other Business


Cllr OBrien asked for the relevant details of the generic model publication scheme adopted by the Council pursuant to the Freedom of information Act so that he could amend the Councils web site accordingly. The Clerk/Chairman will provide the information.


The meeting closed at 10.30pm




932