MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON TUESDAY 8TH MAY 2012 AT 8PM




  1. Present: Cllr Jeremy Carlisle (Chairman), Cllr Marc OBrien, Cllr Graham Clark, , Cllr Geoff Kavanagh, Mr Timothy Martin (Financial Officer), Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk), Mrs Carole Turner (Town House Committee Chair), 3 members of the public


  1. Apologies: Dst Cllr Gerald Morris, Cllr Ian Turner, Cllr Tony Slater


  1. Election of Officers

Chair Cllr Carlisle stood down

Cllr Carlisle was proposed by Cllr Kavanagh and seconded by Cllr Clark

Approved unanimously

Vice Chair In his absence Cllr Turner was stood down. Mrs Carole Turner confirmed that if proposed and elected Cllr Turner would be prepared to act as Vice Chair for the coming year.

Cllr Turner was proposed by Cllr O’Brien and seconded by Cllr Kavanagh

Approved unanimously


  1. Minutes of last meeting

The minutes of the meeting on Monday 2nd April 2012 were read and approved.


Proposed by Cllr G Clark and seconded by Cllr M OBrien


  1. Matters Arising

The Clerk confirmed that the pole that carries the security light in the car park at the rear of the Town House has now been erected along with a bollard to protect it and the pavement from future damage. Cllr Carlisle confirmed that he would contact Busy Bee to reconnect the electrical supply to the light.


Cllr Kavanagh confirmed that the Scouts have carried out some litter picking in the village as part of their Community Week tasks, and more will be done shortly.


A letter has been received from Gary Henning of Highways Department regarding the safety barrier outside the school further to our correspondence of last month. He confirms that the Parish Council would be absolved of any responsibility in the event of any accidents that may occur due to the safety barriers location.


  1. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments


Payments this month


Parish Council

AFP Construction Balance of fees (Clubroom) £ 66.00

Laura Childs Parish Clerk (April) £ 115.20

Hardcastle Burton PAYE fee for quarter £ 42.00

Tim Martin Financial officer (April) & expenses £ 181.85


It was proposed by Cllr Kavanagh and seconded by Cllr Clark that the payments should be made.


940






Town House

Alison Stacey Letting Office & Caretaking fees (April) £ 179.00

Carole Turner Re-imbursement for key fobs £ 24.66

Cambs, Locks & Safe New locks, keys & panic safety bars £1,066.83

Rachel Gale Returned wedding deposit £ 150.00

It was proposed by Cllr OBrien and seconded by Cllr Clark that the payments should be made.

Mr Martin had circulated the Parish Council Accounts and the Town House Charity Accounts for 2011-2012 prior to the meeting.

Approval and acceptance of the accounts were proposed by Cllr Carlisle and seconded by Cllr Kavanagh. The accounts were approved unanimously.

In addition the council reviewed the Audit Commission's Annual Return for the council for the year ended 31st March 2012 which had been prepared by Mr Martin, the RFO. The council unanimously approved both the Accounting & Annual governance statements which were duly signed. Mr Martin will now forward these to Hardcastle Burton who will carry out the internal audit before they are submitted to BDO who will carry out the audit on behalf of the Audit Commission.

The Asset Register was reviewed and agreed with the only adjustments being made to the book value of the Clubroom from £ 74,150 to £120,950 following the building work.

Cllr Carlisle recommended that the Tennis Club ask Mr Martin to audit their accounts and Carole Turner agreed that this would be a good idea and would arrange for this to take place.


  1. Diamond Jubilee Celebrations

Cllr Kavanagh reported that there had been a good take up on the commemorative Jubilee coins and that monies raised by additional purchases of the coin will be put towards other costs on the day. Arrangements are progressing well, with just the music for the day to be sorted out. Cllr Kavanagh had a possible musician in mind but asked for additional funds to be able to book them, it was agreed that an additional £100 would be contributed by the Parish Council.



  1. Speeding Issues

In the absence of Cllr Turner there was nothing to report this month. It was however noted that Cllr Turner and his fellow Speed Watch colleague Mr Brian Haughey are due to receive a Community Award from Hertfordshire Police for the software that they have developed for use by the police in connection with the Speed Watch initiative.


  1. Planning

Barley Brook Cottage, High Street, Barley

Case Ref No: 12/00904/1HH

A further planning application has been received for a garage to be built in the grounds of Barley Brook Cottage. It was noted that the revised proposal now shows a single storey garage with a covered log store or similar to the rear and also to one side. It was also noted that it has been relocated closer to the main property but that it is also now very close to the adjoining house known as The White House which could have an adverse impact on that property. The revised drawings additionally show that the overall scale and bulk of the whole garage have been reduced although the footprint remains large due to the extended roof slope to form the covered storage at ground level.





941


The meeting was reminded that although the site lies within the Barley Selected Village Policy Area (Policy 7) it is also within the Barley Conservation Area and is part of the Village Character Area V2 whose policy aims are to retain and maintain essential open spaces between buildings as characteristic of the village centre. Furthermore as confirmed by the planning officer in connection with the last application for a garage in 2011(and in respect of which this council objected and which was refused by NHDC in November 2011) when permission for Barley Brook Cottage was granted in 2002 it was on the basis that the front of the site was kept undeveloped and that this specifically excluded the provision of any garage in front of the dwelling. Despite the amendments made to the form and location of the proposed garage this current application clearly remains in direct contradiction with this intent. As discussed in connection with the last application the meeting did not consider that despite the passage of time since the property was built that there have been any significant or material changes within the village conservation area to warrant any relaxation of this position. The proposal would not maintain nor enhance the character or visual quality of the village nor so far as the conservation area is concerned make any positive contribution to the preservation or enhancement of its character as required by policies 7 and 20. It was therefore unanimously agreed to object to this application.


9 High Street, Barley

Case Ref No’s: 12/00741/1H & 12/00740/1LB

The application was reviewed and it was agreed that the suggestion made in the Heritage report accompanying the application to change the rear gable roof and create instead a hipped roof would be more agreeable. With this amendment in place it was unanimously agreed that there were no objections to this application.


Hill Crest, Shaftenhoe End, Barley

Case Ref No. 12/00823/1HH

There was no Design & Access Statement with the application and the Clerk was requested to contact NHDC planning department to ask if one was required in this case. Notwithstanding this query the applicant, Mr G Kennion, who was present at the meeting, was invited by the Chairman to outline to the council members the proposed alterations and extensions he and his wife wished to make to the property. The Chairman advised the council members that, following the proposed alterations and extensions, the basic footprint of the property at ground floor level would appear to be increased by some 43% excluding the additional first floor created by raising the height of the roof by 1.2m. Nevertheless the overall size, scale and design of the property, as altered, including the increase in the height of the building was felt to be acceptable and accorded with the general provisions of Planning Policy 30 of the current Local Plan, which appeared to be the principal relevant planning policy in this case. Accordingly the Council unanimously resolved to raise no objection to this application.


The meeting also noted that the application did not include for any new garage building on the site and that the applicants had advised the meeting that it was not their intention to provide such a facility as part of their proposals for the property and would continue to use the existing open car parking area at the front of the property.


  1. Town House

Carole Turner, Town House Committee Chair, confirmed that they have finally had word that their grant application to NHDC Parish Challenge Panel has been successful and that they will receive £2,696 towards the cost of new chairs.


Mrs Turner additionally confirmed that the broken socket in the upstairs room has been repaired and the new locks have been fitted.


Cllr Carlisle confirmed that Drew & Baltrop are reviewing the letting agreement Terms & Conditions for the Town House and these should be ready shortly.


Mrs Turner invited everyone to the Town House AGM tomorrow evening.


942



  1. Recreation Ground

The grass to the Plaistow has now been cut and will shortly be due another.


Cllr Clark reported that he has installed new latches to the gates in the play area. He is additionally having signs made up asking users to close the gates.


  1. Club Room

The sewer connection has now been made and the new tenant is proceeding with the legal documents etc. Paperwork should be ready to sign within the next couple of weeks. Cllr Carlisle asked Mr Martin to find out what proportion of our insurance premium related to the Club Room as this will be charged on to the tenant under the leasing agreement.


  1. Scout Hut

Cllr Kavanagh has received provisional costs for a pre-fabricated building built to a basic design, as previously drawn up by Cllr Slater. The cost to erect a building on an already cleared site would be £142,000. Cllr Kavanagh is now working on a possible two storey design and is seeking provisional costs for this too.


  1. Picknage Road Allotments

One of the allotment holders has decided not to carry on with their plot this year and the next person on the list has been approached and has agreed to take on the vacant plot.


Cllr Kavanagh has received a quote from a plumber to hook up the water supply to the cattle trough. He has however included some items that arent in fact required and so Cllr Kavanagh will ask him to requote and get these costs forwarded to Cllr Carlisle a.s.a.p.


15. Health & Safety

Cllr Slater was absent from the meeting but will forward the months H&S sheets on to the Clerk. Additionally he invited Councillors to attend the Annual Risk Assessment review to be carried out by Drew & Baltrop on 16th May, 10.00am at the Town House. Cllr Clark confirmed that he hoped to attend the meeting.



  1. Correspondence

A letter from Stop Stansted Expansion has been received requesting that the Parish Council consider making a grant to further their campaign. Following a brief discussion it was agreed that regrettably our finances were committed elsewhere.


The Clerk read out a letter from Oliver Heald MP regarding the Hertfordshire Draft Rural Strategy Consultation.


North Hertfordshire District Council have written regarding the Localism Act 2011 and Changes to the Standards Regime.


All other correspondence received was to be circulated to Councillors.


17. Any other Business

Mr Jack Shepherd attended the meeting along with Mrs Judith Howell to discuss the Village Show. Mr Shepherd and Mrs Drury (Chairman and Treasurer respectively) of the Village Show Committee have both resigned with immediate effect. Cllr Carlisle expressed his thanks for their hard work over the 11 years that they have both served on this committee. Mr Shepherd offered his support and advice to whoever will take over thereinsand confirmed that a meeting is due to be held tomorrow evening to discuss this years show and whether it will take place or not. This very much depended on the level of support and interest that is shown and it was agreed that an update would be given at the Annual Village Meeting scheduled for Wednesday 23rd May.


943


Numerous complaints have been received regarding the works carried out recently to the bridge on the B1039 between Barley and Great Chishill. The Clerk agreed to write to Gary Henning of Hertfordshire Highways with concerns over the flooding that is now occurring in the area due to the banks being built up and additionally the inappropriate Armco barrier that has been used.


Following a brief inspection Cllr Carlisle also noted that the gullys to Chishill Road appear not to have been cleared for sometime. He requested that the Clerk ask when these are to be cleared again.


The meeting closed at 10.50pm

















































944