MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 7TH NOVEMBER 2011 AT 8PM



  1. Present: Cllr Jeremy Carlisle (Chairman); Cllr Tony Slater, Cllr Ian Turner, Cllr Geoff Kavanagh, Cllr Marc OBrien, Cllr Graham Clark, Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk), Mr Timothy Martin (Financial Officer)


In Attendance: 2 members of the public


  1. Apologies: Dst. Cllr Gerald Morris, Mrs Carole Turner (Town House Committee)


  1. Minutes of meetings on 3rd October 2011

The minutes of the meeting on 3rd October were read and approved.


Proposed by Cllr G Clark and seconded by Cllr G Kavanagh


  1. Matters Arising

Cllr Carlisle is due to meet with Mrs Arrowsmith, the Head Teacher at Barley School on Wednesday 9th November to discuss and hopefully resolve the location of the safety barrier outside the school gates. He also explained that during his recent quarterly meeting with Highways they too were going to write to Mrs Arrowsmith with a suggested site for re-location of the barrier.


The Clerk confirmed that a date of Monday 14th November had finally been confirmed for works to commence on the repairs to the footpath at the rear of the Town House. Cllr Carlisle asked the Clerk to confirm if there will be access for vehicles to the rear car park during the duration of the works.


Mr Martin, in his capacity of Parish Council Governor to Barley School, reported the current Head Teacher of Barkway First School has expressed an interest in taking up the role of joint Headship at Barley and Barkway Schools. All parties were happy with this prospective appointment but this remains subject to the appropriate qualifications being completed.


Cllr OBrien confirmed he has spoken to Richard Tiffin of NHDC planning department regarding the National Planning Policy Framework. Cllr OBrien will be attending the NHDC Parish, Community & Town Councils Conference on 22nd November, where Planning Legislation and an Overview of Section 106 is on the agenda.


  1. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments


Payments this month


Parish Council

MD Landscapes August / September £198.00

Laura Childs Parish Clerk (October) £122.40

Malcolm George August / September £405.00

Hardcastle Burton PAYE services £ 96.00

Tim Martin Finance Officer (October) £ 72.00

NHDC Plan fee / Building Control (Clubroom) £480.47

Anglian Water Sewer Connection (Clubroom) £468.00


It was proposed by Cllr T Slater and seconded by Cllr M OBrien that the payments should be made.




918



Town House

Carol Robinson Cleaning (October) £ 60.00

Tim Martin Re-imbursement of licence fee

& Crow advert £ 64.44

Alison Stacey Letting Officer fees (Oct) & advert in

Wedding Magazine £220.50


It was proposed by Cllr T Slater and seconded by Cllr G Clark that the payments should be made.


Mr Martin advised that he has prepared a Trustees report for the year 2010/2011 and sent it off to the Charities Commission.


  1. Speeding Issues

Cllr Turner reported that the Speed Watch group have now sent out 600 letters to motorists caught speeding through the village. Additionally Cllr Turner has developed a new piece of software that will help speed up the inputting process which currently takes 10 minutes per entry and will be reduced to 1 minute using the new software. The local police service are looking at accepting this software to be used across all of the Speed Watch groups in the region.


A complaint has been received via Mr Oliver Heald MP, which Cllr Turner has responded to, with a full explanation of the procedures that the Speed Watch group are required to follow.


Cllr Slater commented on the number of HGV vehicles that are going through the village and confirmed that he has received a number of complaints from residents in the High Street with concerns that the HGV vehicles are damaging their properties, some of which are listed buildings. Cllr Carlisle asked Cllr Slater to investigate this matter further, to try and get numbers for HGV vehicle movements through the village and get further details from householders with justifiable complaints and confirmed property damage.


  1. Planning


Slaters Bakers Lane Barley

Cllr Carlisle advised that a planning application has been submitted for the removal of two trees at Slaters, Bakers Lane, Barley. Whilst the Parish Council has not officially been advised, nor been asked to comment on the application, it is a particularly relevant application given the recent planning application discussed at our last meeting for a two storey extension. Cllr Carlisle advised that he has spoken with the planning officer dealing with this matter and was advised that in isolation NHDC would probably not refuse the application to remove these two trees, one being a Sycamore and the other a Holly bush. It was felt however that the removal of these two trees would be to the detriment of the application for the two storey extension as this application stated that it was well screened from the roadside by these and other trees.


11/02581/1HH FULL PERMISSION HOUSEHOLDER: TWO AND SINGLE STOREY SIDE EXTENSION. Single storey flat roof rear extension and alterations to roof. (As a variation to Planning Permission ref. 11/01306/1HH granted 13.07.11) 3 Sells Close Cottages, High Street Barley

Cllr OBrien declared a conflict of interest in this application, as he is a neighbour, and abstained from discussions.


The application was discussed as an alteration to the existing permissions already granted and it was unanimously agreed that there were no objections.





919




11/02457/1 FULL PLANNING PERMISSION: Re-building and conversion of existing outbuilding to form separate living accommodation in association with the Nursing Home and Listed Buildings consent ref. 11/02458/1LB

Margaret House, Church End, Barley

These plans are a new submission and a revised design of a previous application from September 2010. The Council at the time objected to the original application on the basis that the design of the building was not in keeping with the setting of the site which lies within the Barley Conservation Area. Additionally it was deemed that the proposed use of the new building didnt warrant a two storey property.


It was felt that the new application had sufficiently addressed these issues and was much more appropriate to its setting. It was therefore unanimously agreed to raise no objections to this current application. The Clerk was asked to note on the response to the planning department that the proposed roofing material should remain as specified, of natural slate and that the fascia boards are either stained or painted in a dark colour, so as to blend into the structure rather than be highlighted as a feature.


8. Town House

Cllr Turner advised that problems had been experienced in trying to switch electricity suppliers to the Town House, the situation has now been resolved and the service will remain with the current supplier for the next 12 months.


Cllr Turner is aware that a couple of electrical items remain outstanding and will speak to Busy Bee to ask them to carry out these works.


Fund raising events continue with aCall my Wine Bluffevent planned for later this month. Cllr Turner advised that advertising for the event was underway and tickets are for sale. Cllr Turner asked for the support of the Parish Councillors in attending the event and to put word about that tickets are now on sale.


9. Recreation Ground

The Clerk confirmed that she had spoken with MD Landscapes about the broken paving slab to the steps of the tennis courts and that they had accepted responsibility for the damage, Cllr Turner will advise when the repair has been undertaken.


The Clerk also advised that currently there appears to be no works schedule in place for MD Landscapes. In order to remedy this it was suggested that one is drawn up for the next year when the works are put out to tender. MD Landscapes did advise that they currently strim the nettles around the perimeter of the Plaistow, when they feel that they need doing, but that they were not included in their understanding of the scheduled works.


Cllr Turner reported that the football team have held their first game on the pitch. Cllr Carlisle has however received a couple of complaints from property owners who border the Plaistow. One has asked for confirmation of the basis the team are allowed to play football on the Plaistow and Cllr Turner agreed to email a response. Cllr Turner has also written to the team setting out certain protocol regarding retrieving stray balls, painting of the lines, erecting nets etc.


Cllr Clark offered his assistance with required repairs etc. around the Plaistow and Cllr Turner asked if he would look at helping to repair the two Kissing Gates that are currently damaged, they agreed to liaise over the matter.


10. Club Room

Cllr Carlisle advised the meeting that 4 tenders were received back, these were reduced to 2 and it was finally decided to proceed with Hanson Builders who have been advised accordingly. Works are due to commence later this week. Whilst the planning decision is still pending there are still works to be undertaken which arent affected by this.


920



The decision on the councils planning application for change of use and the disabled access ramp is due in approx. 1 weeks time. Cllr Carlisle advised that the solicitors for both parties are very close to reaching final agreement with the letting documents and that a hearing on the licence to sell wine is being held on 20th November.


11. Scout Hut

Cllr Kavanagh had nothing further to report. Cllr Carlisle requested that he ask the Scout Leaders what facilities / space they need as an absolute minimum. If we can improve on this then we will but a bench mark is needed to work from. Once we have this then we can begin to look into the pre-fabricated structures that were discussed at our previous meeting.


Cllr Carlisle advised that Curwens have confirmed that the lease to the scouts is a Commercial Lease and that although the lease has expired they are continuing to hold over on a quarterly basis.


12. Picknage Road Allotments

Cllr Slater has now spoken with Nick White regarding connecting up the water trough to the mains supply and is liaising with him for a date to undertake the work. The fencing remains to be erected and the hedge could now do with a trim. Cllr Slater advised that the allotment keepers had reported afruitful yearand were very pleased with their plots.


13. Health and Safety

Cllr Slater advised that there appeared to be no major issues, and it was noted that the signs have now gone up over the heaters, Cllr Turner was thanked for carry this out.


Cllr Slater has a meeting with Drew & Baltrop later this week and invited anyone interested to attend.


Cllr Carlisle advised the meeting that the Council needs to review the Councils Health and Safety plan with Drew & Baltrop to ensure that it remains up to date and that no amendments are required. The Town House Committee needs to fully review the plan as it applies to the Town House to ensure compliance and the same applies to the Plaistow Committee relative to the Playstow recreation ground and the Childrens Play ground and the tennis club.


Mr Martin requested that Cllr Slater enquire of Drew & Baltrop how we should best monitor the Risk Assessment schedule for the Councils various assets, activities and responsibilities, additionally could they clarify if it is best practice for the Councils Financial Regulations to be reviewed on an annual basis.


14. Correspondence

The Clerk advised that a letter has been received from NHDC requesting that the Council provides their precept requirements for 2012/2013, by 20 January 2012. Cllr Carlisle asked that this item be added to the agenda of the next meeting and in the meantime thoughts should be given to an appropriate amount.


15. Any other Business

Cllr Carlisle requested that further to his circulating the pro forma default provisions for the Freedom of Information act, that the Council formerly adopts this, which was unanimously agreed.


The Clerk advised that Cllr Clark’s email and telephone number details were missing from the website and Cllr O’Brien agreed to add them.


Despite posting an invitation for suggestions in The Diary, nobody had made any contact regarding the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Celebrations next year. Cllr Carlisle asked the meeting to consider whether we wanted to organise an event for the village and Cllr Kavanagh agreed to gauge interest in an event being held and report back at the next meeting.


921


An email has been received from NHDC offering provision of road salt for the Parish Council to make use of within the village during inclement weather this winter. It was agreed that the Council would like to take up this offer and the Clerk was asked to enquire if it was possible to receive the 1 tonne supply in 25kg bags as it was felt it would be easier to store and then re-distribute. Cllr Carlisle agreed to find a suitable storage location and Cllr Clark volunteered to assist with distributing the salt during the winter months.


The meeting closed at 10.25pm



















































922