MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 7th MARCH 2011 AT 8PM

 

  1. Present: Cllr Jeremy Carlisle (Chairman); Cllr Richard Elliott; Cllr Vanessa Martin; Cllr Tony Slater; Cllr Philip Smith; Cllr Ian Turner; Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk); Mr Timothy Martin (Financial Officer)

In Attendance: 2 members of the public

  1. Apologies:  Mrs Carole Turner (Town House Committee)
  2. Minutes of last meeting

The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved. 

Proposed by Cllr P Smith and seconded by Cllr T Slater

  1. Matters Arising

The Clerk has spoken with Dave Standen of NHDC who confirmed that the relocation of the safety barrier outside the school will be undertaken at sometime during March.

 

The Clerk confirmed that she has spoken with Jamie Sells at the Waste & Recycling department NHDC regarding resolving the issue of the broken paving stones at the rear of the Town House.  The Clerk confirmed to Mr Sells that if necessary the Parish Council would be prepared to meet with the costs 50/50 to progress the repairs and she awaits his response.  It was agreed that the Clerk should pursue him for a reply.

Email contact has been made with Mr Stuart Burley, Regional Business Manager at Punch Taverns and it appears that progress is finally being made over the repairs to the coping stones on the wall bordering the Fox and Hounds pub car park.  Mr Burley confirmed that he has instructed a works team to look at the repairs required and action repair.   

Dave Standen of NHDC has informed the Clerk that gully clearance has been scheduled to be undertaken during April, Cllr Turner however informed the meeting that due to an environmental health issue NHDC had been requested to carry out more urgent gully clearance.  This has now been completed both in the High Street and Church End but Cllr Turner was told by the gully clearance contractors that they had not been instructed to clear any gully’s in London Road.  The Clerk will write to Dave Standen and request that these works be undertaken and ask for clarification on which areas of the village still require gully clearance and when this would be carried out.

It was noted that the larger, more dangerous pot holes had now been filled and that the uneven road surface at the junction of Picknage Road cross roads has been repaired.  The area at the junction of Shaftenhoe End Road and Church End remains in a poor state despite temporary repairs being made, the Clerk agreed to request more permanent repairs be made.

Correspondence has been received from Michelle Roberts of Countryside Management Services asking for details of progress made with the village map.  Cllr Turner advised the meeting that he has spoken with Mr Peter Mather who is interested in taking on the proposed project and agreed to put together some idea of cost for the work, draft ideas and a rough project plan with some milestones including a proposed completion date.  The Clerk agreed to contact Michelle to request more time for Cllr Turner to prepare the required information.

 

885

 

  1. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments

Payments this month

Parish Council

          Laura Childs             Parish Clerk (February)                         

          Tim Martin               Finance Officer (Februrary)                    

          JDK                        Works to prepare the allotment site         

          G Robson                 Hedging to boundary of allotment site       

          The Broker Network  Annual insurance for Town House            

It was proposed by Cllr P Smith and seconded by Cllr Ian Turner that the payments should be made.

         

Town House

A Stacey                 Letting officer (January)                        

A Stacey                 Letting officer (February)                       

The Diary                Annual advertisement                            

V Martin                  Caretaker (December)                          

V Martin                  Letting officer (November/December)      

It was proposed by Cllr R Elliott and seconded by Cllr T Slater that the payments should be made.

Cllr Carlisle confirmed that he was happy that the proposed new insurance for the Town House offered comparable cover to the existing policy and with a saving of over £1,000 it was unanimously agreed to go ahead. 

Proposed by Cllr T Slater and seconded by Cllr P Smith.

Tim Martin agreed to continue progressing insurance quotations for the Parish Council insurance which is due for renewal in June.  Cllr Turner requested that the policy is checked to ensure that the Tennis Club is covered by the existing and any new policy. 

It is understood that HMRC have issued new guidelines on the employment status of Parish Clerks and Responsible Financial Officers who can no longer be self employed or be paid Gross.  The new legislation means that the Parish Council must register as an employer and deduct PAYE and NIC from 6th April 2011.  Hardcastle Burton offer a service to carry out this payroll service on behalf of the Parish Council and it was agreed in order to keep costs to a minimum the Clerk and the Responsible Financial Officer will be paid on a quarterly basis.

  1. Speeding Issues

Cllr Turner and Brian Haughey (member of public) have met with Sgt. John Vine and have signed up to the Community Speed Watch scheme.  All Parishioners and Councillors partaking must be CRB checked and it can take up to 4 weeks to be vetted.  As soon as these checks have been completed then the Speed Watch can commence.  The scheme requires 3 people to be present and will use a laser operated speed sign (supplied by Herts Police).  Any vehicle caught travelling at over 36 miles per hour will have their registration number taken, the make and model of car noted and whether a male or female driver.  These details will be passed to Royston Police station and a letter will be sent out to those offending.  There are currently three villages signed up to the Community Speed Watch scheme ~ Barkway, Ashwell and Barley.  The equipment will be shared between these villages and they will liaise over dates etc.  More volunteers are required and Cllr Turner agreed to speak to people who have previously expressed an interest in taking part in such a scheme.

886

  1. Planning

11/00401/1HH – 4 Smiths End Lane, Barley, Royston, SG8 8LH

The Parish Council have no objection to this application.

Although the planning application for Slaters has not yet been received, letters of objection have been sent by both adjoining neighbours of the property.

 

     8.  Town House

Cllr Turner confirmed that a priority list has now been drawn up for works / actions required to the Town House.  Replacing the chairs and renewing all the keys are the most immediate actions required.

9.  Recreation Ground

Quotations are to be obtained for repairing the post and rail fencing. There are a number of rails that have broken and several posts appear to have rotted and need to be replaced.

 

   10.  Scout Hut

      Nothing further to report.

   11.   Picknage Road Allotments

The works have now been completed to the site and the plots are now ready to let from 1st April.    There were no comments or additions to be made regarding the letting agreement and it was agreed that each plot would be let for £50 per year with a 50% reduction (to £25) for the first year as the plots still require some clearance.  This was proposed by Cllr Elliott and seconded by Cllr Slater.  There were eight interested parties for the five available plots and names were drawn from a hat.  Cllr Slater agreed to inform the successful applicants in writing.  Cllr’s Elliott and Slater will take forward the final requirements to get the allotments fully functional, sorting out the water supply etc.

A quotation has been received to grass seed the paths surrounding and running in between the plots for £190 and it was agreed that Mr Robson (who planted the hedging) should be instructed to proceed with the works. 

   12.   Health and Safety

A meeting with Drew & Barltrop has been arranged for 21st March to review the Risk Assessments and general Health & Safety issues.  Cllr Elliott and Cllr Turner agreed to be present.  Cllr Turner confirmed that he would ensure the reflective edging strips to the staircase of the Town House would be in place for the meeting.

13.     Correspondence

An email received from NHDC regarding the Infrastructure Delivery Plan (previously circulated) was discussed and it was agreed that we should request that they provide a list of facilities compiled by the service providers and then as a Parish Council we can add our comments and any omissions to the list.

Other correspondence received was to be circulated to Councillors.

14.     Any other Business

Cllr Carlisle informed the council that terms continue to be negotiated with the prospective tenant of the club room.  Works to be undertaken include ensuring that the building is both wind and water tight, overhaul and repair as necessary the whole of the internal electrical installation to include a replacement distribution board if required, new toilet accommodation including wash hand basin and all necessary connections to the public sewer – partition and electrics to suit, water supply and waste pipe for kitchenette/tea preparation area and replace,  or repair if appropriate, all existing windows including glazing and painting on completion. The prospective tenant has an architect friend who is looking into provision of a disabled access.

The date for the Annual Village Meeting was set for 25th May 2011.  The Clerk agreed to arrange for a notice to be posted in The Diary.  The Parish Council AGM will be held on 9th May 2011.

 

     The meeting closed at 10.45pm

888

 

Top