MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 10th JANUARY 2011 AT 8PM

  1. Present: Cllr Jeremy Carlisle (Chairman); Cllr Vanessa Martin; Cllr Ian Turner;

Cllr Richard Elliott; Cllr Tony Slater; Cllr Philip Smith; Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk); Mr Timothy Martin (Financial Officer)

In Attendance: Dist Cllr Howard Marshall (joined the meeting at 8.45pm); Mr Stuart Findlay and 2 members of the public

  1. Apologies:  Dist Cllr Tony Hunter
  2. Minutes of last meeting

The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved. 

Proposed by Cllr P Smith and seconded by Cllr V Martin

  1. Matters Arising

It was noted that the safety barrier outside the school has still not been relocated.  The Clerk confirmed that she would pursue Dave Standen of Hertfordshire Highways for a date for these works.

The Clerk confirmed that she had spoken again with Jamie Sells at the Waste & Recycling department NHDC regarding replacing the broken paving stones damaged by their lorries.  She advised him of the Parish Councils stance on the matter as agreed at the last meeting and now awaits a response from him.

The Clerk continues to email Punch Taverns on a regular basis to request that they undertake the necessary repairs to the loose copping stones on the wall bordering the pub car park.  No reply has yet been received.

The pot holes, uneven road surface and gully/drain clearance have all been reported to Hertfordshire Highways and acknowledgements have been received.  The pot hole in Chishill Road continues to cause problems and is becoming increasingly hazardous.  The Clerk agreed to continue requesting dates for repair.  Dave Standen has confirmed that the gully clearance has been added to the list of works but no date has yet been given.

Cllr Carlisle has now spoken with Stuart Izzard of NHDC Community Development.  Mr Izzard has requested that he attend a meeting to discuss further how the monies from the unilateral undertakings can help towards the cost of certain qualifying projects.  The Clerk agreed to make contact to invite him to a future meeting.

Cllr Turner has seen a possible option for the village map project, he has requested further details from the company who manufacture them and will advise further when this information arrives.

  1. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments

Payments this month

Parish Council

Laura Childs             Parish Clerk (December)                        

          M D Landscapes       Grass cutting (October)                         

It was proposed by Cllr V Martin and seconded by Cllr I Turner that the payments should be made.

         

879

Town House

C Robinson              Cleaning (December)                             

I Turner                  Refund for electrical goods purchased      

It was proposed by Cllr R Elliott and seconded by Cllr V Martin that the payments should be made.

The Parish Council insurance is due for renewal in June with the Town House insurance due for renewal in March.  Tim Martin confirmed he is seeking competitive quotations from Insurance Companies who specialise in Parish Council/Town Hall insurance.

  1. Speeding Issues

Cllr Turner reported that shortly before Christmas the flashing speeding sign had been stolen from London Road and later found dumped in a telephone box in Heydon.  It has been confirmed that it has some slight damage but should be fine to be returned sometime in the near future.  Cllr Turner advised that since it has been missing he had noted an increase in cars speeds and therefore concluded that it does have some effect in slowing the traffic.

Dist Cllr Marshall expressed his concern that the speeding questionnaire was taking sometime to be distributed and urged that it is carried out as soon as possible.  Cllr Turner advised that there had been some delay due to personal circumstances of those involved and that the distribution was imminent.

  1. Planning

Following his request made via the Chairman at the last meeting Mr Stuart Findlay was invited to address the meeting regarding his proposals to build a new house in the grounds of his existing property. Mr Findlay presented his proposals and advised the meeting that he had not yet made a planning application but he wished to keep the Council informed of his proposals and to take note of any initial comments the Council may have prior to the submission of a formal application. Apart from a number of general design related queries it was noted that the site was located outside the boundary of the Barley Selected Village Policy Area for planning purposes and as such the planning presumption would be against planning permission being granted. The site also lay in part within the Barley Conservation Area. Mr Findlay was advised that, as the Parish Council generally have regard to the relevant planning policies for the village when considering any planning applications upon which it is consulted by NHDC, that any application he may make to develop the site as outlined in his presentation would need to be supported with sufficiently strong reasons why his proposals should warrant and justify his application being considered as an exception to the policy and thus to persuade the council not to object to the application when consulted upon it by NHDC in due course. Mr Findlay thanked the council for their time and noted their comments.

Cllr Carlisle enquired of Dist Cllr Marshall whether he was aware that the Council had objected to several planning applications recently and if so did he know why we had not received any feedback on the objections raised. Cllr Carlisle explained that the reason for the query was that it was our understanding that where a parish council objects to an application it is now the practice of NHDC to refer the objection to the local District Councillor for his observations following which the parish council would receive some feedback as to whether, having regard to their objections, the application should be referred to the relevant planning committee at NHDC rather than dealt with by the planning officers under their delegated powers. Dist Cllr Marshall advised that apart from the Councils objections in relation to September Cottage he was unaware that we had made any other objections recently and he will enquire as to why he hasnít received any notice of our objections and will check the reporting procedures in this respect with NHDC.

Dist Cllr Marshall separately advised that he appeared to have recently stopped receiving copies of the minutes of the councils meetings. The Clerk apologised for this apparent omission and will ensure that going forward he is included in the mail list.

880

     8.   Town House

Cllr Turner advised that Carole Turner has received an invoice from the Performing Rights Society and was unsure if the Town House was required to pay this.  It was agreed that the Town House Committee should seek advice from HAPTC on this matter.

 

The Town House committee are still looking into the purchase of new chairs.

9.  Recreation Ground

The required remedial works to two fencing rails have not yet been undertaken but the fencing has not deteriorated any further and Cllr Turner confirmed that repairs will be carried out shortly.

   10.  Scout Hut

      Nothing further to report.

   11.   Picknage Road Allotments

The contractor has now mostly cleared the site with just some roots to be grubbed up and a tree stump that needs grinding out remaining. The work should be completed over the next few weeks to include the footpath access off Picknage Rd and new gate etc.

 

   12.   Health and Safety

The Clerk confirmed that she has now completed the Display Screen Equipment self assessment and will post this to Drew & Baltrop.

The edging strips to the staircase of the Town House still need to be replaced and Cllr Turner confirmed that he would carry this out.  Additionally labels/notices are to be placed above each of the wall heaters asking that the heaters are not covered.

   13.   Correspondence

Correspondence received was to be circulated to Councillors.

   14.   Any other Business

Cllr Elliott advised of further pot holes and general degradation of the road at the junction of Church End and Shaftenhoe End Road, the Clerk will report details to Hertfordshire Highways.

     The meeting closed at 10.00pm

881

 

Top