MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL
HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 7th FEBRUARY 2011 AT 8PM

1. Present: Cllr Jeremy Carlisle (Chairman); Cllr Vanessa Martin; Cllr Richard Elliott;
Cllr Tony Slater; Cllr Philip Smith; Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk); Mr Timothy Martin (Financial Officer)
In Attendance: Mr Stuart Izzard (NHDC Community Development Officer)
2. Apologies: Cllr Ian Turner
3. Minutes of last meeting
The minutes of the last meeting were read and approved.
Proposed by Cllr V Martin and seconded by Cllr T Slater
4. Matters Arising
The Clerk has emailed Dave Standen of NHDC again for confirmation of a date for the relocation of the safety barrier outside the school and awaits a response.

Jamie Sells at the Waste & Recycling department NHDC has yet to make contact regarding replacing the broken paving stones damaged by their lorries. The Clerk will contact him again to try and resolve the issue and it was agreed that if necessary we would be prepared to meet with the costs 50/50 to progress the repairs.
It was noted that some of the coping stones on the wall bordering the Fox and Hounds pub car park have been displaced and then put back onto the pub property. The Clerk will continue to email Punch Taverns to request that they undertake the necessary repairs.
The large pot hole on the Great Chishill road has now been patched and it was noted that works were underway to repair the uneven and dangerous road surface at the crossroads between Cambridge Road and Picknage Road. We await a date for the gully clearance from Dave Standen.
In Cllr Turners absence there is nothing further to report on a possible option for the village map project which he is progressing.

5. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments
Payments this month
Parish Council
Hardcastle Burton Auditing
NHDC Emptying of dog bins
Laura Childs Parish Clerk (January)
Tim Martin Finance Officer (December & January)
Malcolm George Grass cutting / maintenance
It was proposed by Cllr T Slater and seconded by Cllr R Elliott that the payments should be made.

Town House
C Robinson Cleaning (January)
It was proposed by Cllr V Martin and seconded by Cllr P Smith that the payments should be made.
882
Tim Martin has now received quotations for the Town House and Parish Council insurances. The new company are very competitive and it was unanimously decided that if the policy content was suitable and comparable to the insurances in place at present then policies should be taken out. Cllr Carlisle will check over the policy content and if all being equal will instruct Tim Martin to proceed.
Cllr Carlisle asked Tim Martin to note that he expected an invoice shortly from Curwens Solicitors towards disbursement costs for the land registry fees of the Plaistow.
Estimates have been received from Malcolm George for the Parish grass cutting and maintenance / grass cutting of the children’s play area enclosure in the Plaistow for the year 2011. The quotations were reviewed and the council were pleased to note that
Mr George had kept them at the same rate as last year. It was unanimously agreed to accept the quotations and instruct Mr George to continue with the works.
6. Speeding Issues
In Cllr Turners absence there was nothing further to report.
7. Planning
11/00059/1HH – 20 PICKNAGE ROAD, BARLEY, SG8 8HP
The application was discussed and the parish are of the belief that the site of the proposed double garage is strictly outside of the village boundary for selected village policy purposes. The presumption would therefore be against the proposed development but in this particular case the council does not have any objection.
STUART IZZARD OF NHDC COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
Mr Stuart Izzard, Community Development Officer for NHDC spoke to the council about the role he undertakes at NHDC. He talked about the Unilateral Undertakings and how we might be able to use them to help with any projects in our village. Whilst the current funds are fairly limited he stressed that it is important to have a ‘wish list’ in place to enable any future justification for section 106 planning obligations. Any funding used under the Unilateral Undertakings has to specifically be for capital projects and can not be used for refurbishment purposes.
A number of ongoing projects were discussed including renovation of the Lock Up, new kitchen facilities downstairs in the Town House, the development of the allotments and the Scout Hut. Mr Izzard urged the council to ensure that consensus from the whole of the village is sought perhaps via a questionnaire as this sort of back up ‘proof’ is required when going forward for funding.
8. Town House
In the absence of Cllr Turner there was nothing further to report. The management committee of the Town House are due to meet this Thursday 10th February.
9. Recreation Ground
In the absence of Cllr Turner there was nothing further to report.
10. Scout Hut
Nothing further to report.
11. Picknage Road Allotments
The contractor is due to return to site on 14th February and subject to weather should complete works shortly. Cllr Slater has prepared a draft letting agreement and all Councillors were asked to read through it and come with comments to the next meeting when it will be finalised. The Clerk confirmed that she had received several phone calls from interested parties requesting plots. Cllr Slater will continue to look at appropriate rental rates and the council will consider providing storage sheds for each plot. A water supply is yet to be resolved and water harvesting schemes were discussed as a possible option. It is hoped that plots will be available to let from 1st April.
883
12. Health and Safety
Cllr Elliott said that the edging strips to the staircase of the Town House still need to be replaced and Cllr Turner will be reminded that he needs to carry this out. Additionally labels/notices are to be placed above each of the wall heaters asking that the heaters are not covered.
Cllr Elliot is awaiting the proposed Emergency Plan to come back from Drew & Baltrop and will arrange a meeting once it has been received.
13. Correspondence
Correspondence received was to be circulated to Councillors.
14. Any other Business
Cllr Carlisle informed the council that he had received two separate enquiries regarding the leasing of the Club Room. Both prospective users would require change of use from planning and it was agreed that quotations would be sought for the required repair works. Cllr Carlisle agreed to carry on liaising with both interested parties.
Cllr Slater advised the meeting that he has been approached with regard to the absence of any bus shelter in the village.
Cllr Martin and Cllr Smith both advised that they will be standing down at the next election on 5th May 2011 and it was agreed that an advertisement should be placed in The Diary asking for anyone interested in joining the Parish Council to contact the Clerk.
The meeting closed at 10.35pm
 

 

Top