MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 5TH DECEMBER 2011 AT 8PM



  1. Present: Cllr Jeremy Carlisle (Chairman); Cllr Tony Slater, Cllr Geoff Kavanagh,

Cllr Marc OBrien, Cllr Graham Clark, Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk), Mr Timothy Martin (Financial Officer)


In Attendance: Dst. Cllr Gerald Morris; County Cllr Tony Hunter; 3 members of the public


  1. Apologies: Cllr Ian Turner; Mrs Carole Turner


  1. Minutes of meeting on 7th November 2011

The minutes of the meeting on 3rd October were read and approved.


Proposed by Cllr M OBrien and seconded by Cllr G Clark


  1. Matters Arising

Cllr Carlisle has now met with Mrs Arrowsmith, the Head Teacher at Barley School to discuss the location of the safety barrier outside the school gates. A possible way forward was discussed and the matter now needs to be discussed with the Governors. Mrs Arrowsmith is additionally awaiting a letter from Highways regarding their suggested possible location and Cllr Carlisle asked the Clerk to speak with them and request that they write to the school as soon as possible.


Some works have been carried out to the footpath at the rear of the Town House but they are not the agreed repairs and Cllr Carlisle asked the Clerk to speak with Jamie Sells at NHDC to enquire what is happening.


Cllr Carlisle has spoken with Geoffrey Wilkinson regarding storing the winter road salt to be supplied by NHDC, he is waiting on a location for delivery.


Dst. Cllr Morris spoke regarding the planning application at the Nuthampstead Shooting Ground to advise that the decision has been deferred until mid January as they are waiting on various reports. He understood that objections have been received from NHDC and Barkway Parish Council. County Cllr Hunter advised that he has written and requested to speak at the planning meeting and will raise his own objections to the application.


Cllr Carlisle requested that County Cllr Hunter, as part of the localism allocation, request funds for the changes to the cross roads at Picknage Road / Cambridge Road that were originally proposed by County Highways but never carried. This work included an anti-skid surface being applied on the four approaches to the junction. Highways were also to seriously consider the replacement of the existingGive Waysigns withStopsigns to reinforce the traffic priority at the cross roads. It was understood that this work was proposed by Highways on road safety grounds rather than as a means of controlling speeding and it has never been satisfactorily explained why the work was never carried out.


Following a request from Cllr Carlisle, County Cllr Hunter agreed to look into how frequently gully clearance is to be undertaken throughout all areas of Barley, as Cllr Carlisle understood following a recent meeting with Highways that the frequency of such work may be affected by the recent cost cutting exercise undertaken by the County Council.




923



  1. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments


Payments this month


Parish Council

Malcolm George Grass cutting of the Playground area

for 2011 £600.00

Tim Ashcroft Various Clubroom expenses £604.33

AFP Construction H&S consultants for Clubroom renovations £396.00

Laura Childs Parish Clerk (November) & expenses £149.93

Tim Martin Finance Officer (November) & refund of

fee paid for Village website £150.22

HAPTC New Councillor training (Cllr Clark) £ 30.00


It was proposed by Cllr G Kavangh and seconded by Cllr M OBrien that the payments should be made.

Town House

Carol Robinson Cleaning (November) £ 60.00

Alison Stacey Letting Officer & Caretaking fees (Nov) £ 72.50


It was proposed by Cllr T Slater and seconded by Cllr G Kavanagh that the payments should be made.


Deposits returned

Penelope Bolton £100

Sarah Hutchings £850


Mr Martin advised that a number of donations have been made towards the Town House.


Mr Martin noted that a letter has been received from the Valuation Office to advise that the new rateable value for the Clubroom is £1,450. Whilst it is possible to appeal, it was felt that on this occasion it was probably not necessary.


Discussions were held regarding the Budget for 2012 / 2013 prepared by Mr Martin. It was agreed that Councillors should take the time prior to our next meeting to look at the Budget further and a final decision regarding the level that the Precept should be set at would be agreed then.

  1. Report on the Annual NHDC Parish, Community & Town Councils Conference

Cllr OBrien confirmed that he had attended this conference and that it had been very well attended with some 50+ Parishes being represented. He felt that it was a worthwhile exercise and included a useful section on the implications of the Localism Bill and also established some useful contacts which he felt we should endeavour to maintain.


  1. Speeding Issues

In the absence of Cllr Turner there was no report this month. It was however noted that the Speedwatch had again been active this month.


  1. Planning

Planning Application Reference 11/00960/1 - Mary Penny Close, Shaftenhoe End, Barley, Royston SG8 8LE

Cllr Carlisle advised that a letter had been received from NHDC regarding this application and advising of some changes that had been made.



924






Following discussion it was agreed to respond that notwithstanding the amendments that have been made Barley Parish Council still objects to this application. While the Council welcomed the deletion of the proposed new vehicular access it was noted that the scheme otherwise remains fundamentally unaltered with the adjustment of the location of the proposed new garage having no impact on this councils' other major objections to the application.


Accordingly, except in relation to the proposed new access (as this is now deleted), we repeat our comments and objections to this application, and ask that the District Council take note of, and take into account, our comments/objections when making their own decision. If despite our continuing objections the District Council is nevertheless minded to approve the application then we would particularly ask that the conditions referred to in the final paragraph of our email of 28th September to NHDC are incorporated in any consent that may be granted, reinforced if possible by a section 106 agreement to ensure compliance.


Brick House Church End Barley

Mr & Mrs William Wells spoke to the meeting regarding a possible planning application that they are considering. They are looking to provide accommodation for an elderly relative and after initially considering an annex, they are now considering a quite separate stand-alone property to be built within the grounds of their home. The meeting advised that the application would perhaps be more sympathetically considered by the Parish Council as an annex tied to the occupation of the main house but if they proceeded with an application for a new stand-alone house then provided it was totally within the village envelope the application would be considered wholly on its own merits.


  1. Town House

In the absence of Mrs Carole Turner and Cllr Turner there was no report this month. However it was noted that a final decision on the replacement chairs to be acquired was still to be made. A query has been raised regarding the light on the corner of the car park at the rear of the Town House which appears to no longer be working. The Clerk was asked to contact Carole Turner (Town House Committee) to request that any necessary repair be carried out.


10. Recreation Ground

In the absence of Cllr Turner there was no report this month. However Cllr Clark advised that he is going to contact Barkway Parish Council regarding the Terms & Conditions under which they operate their football pitches.


11. Club Room

Cllr Carlisle advised the meeting that the prospective tenant has been granted a licence to sell alcohol during the hours of 9am6pm, Monday to Saturday (no Sunday trading), and for two wine tasting evenings a month but finishing no later than 10pm.


Cllr Carlisle also confirmed that planning permission has been granted for the required change of use and for the construction of a disabled ramp and some other external works. Unfortunately the terms of the permission relating to the change of use were not acceptable to either the council or the proposed tenant. However following discussions and a meeting on site with NHDC Planning Department it has been agreed that a new planning application should be made for the required change of use which, accompanied by further representations from both the parish council and the proposed tenant and others, it was hoped would be approved by NHDC on terms acceptable to all parties.


Cllr Carlisle reported that with regard to the lease documentation this now appeared close to final agreement subject to the appropriate planning permission being forthcoming.



925



12. Scout Hut

Cllr Kavanagh reported that he has consulted with the Scout Leaders and that any new premises would need to meet three criteria;

  1. Storage to be no less than they currently have got

  2. The activity area is no smaller than existing space

  3. Access to toilets (& kitchen area) that are for the sole use of the scouts whilst they are on the premises (this condition is necessary due to CRB restrictions)

Cllr Carlisle asked that Cllr Kavanagh speak with his contacts at the pre-fabricated building company and request that they draw up a suitable scheme that would incorporate the Scouts basic requirements plus changing rooms and shower facilities for the Plaistow users.


13. Picknage Road Allotments

Unfortunately the water supply has not yet been connected up, Cllr Slater agreed to try and contact Nick White again, who had previously agreed to undertake this work.


14. Health & Safety

Cllr Slater advised that together with Cllr Carlisle and Cllr Turner he met with our H&S consultants Drew & Baltrop last month and which he felt that it had been a useful meeting. There were a few outstanding items regarding the Town House and Cllr Slater will speak with Cllr Turner regarding those items. Other than he was pleased to report that Drew & Baltrop appeared generally happy with the H&S systems and documentation that are in place.


15. Correspondence

Correspondence received was to be circulated to Councillors.


16. Any other Business

Cllr Kavanagh advised that he has been gauging support from parishioners regarding celebrations for the Queens Diamond Jubilee and it was generally felt that the village should mark the event. A number of ideas have been suggested and Cllr Kavanagh will look into these further and report back at a future meeting.


The Clerk was asked to put future Parish Council meeting dates in the Diary.


The meeting closed at 10.50pm






















926