MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 6TH SEPTEMBER 2010 AT 8PM

  1. Present: Cllr Jeremy Carlisle (Chairman); Cllr Vanessa Martin; Cllr Tony Slater; Cllr Richard Elliott; Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk); Mr Timothy Martin (Financial Officer)

      In Attendance: Dist Cllr Howard Marshall; Vi Moxey (Gardening Club)

  1. Apologies: Cllr Ian Turner; Cllr Philip Smith
  2. Minutes of last meeting

The minutes were read and approved.  Proposed by Cllr T Slater and seconded by

Cllr V Martin

  1. Matters Arising

Cllr J Carlisle and Tim Martin continue to work on finalising appropriate Standing Orders and Financial Regulations to be adopted by the Council including suitable risk assessment proformas for both the Parish Council and the Town House to satisfy statutory requirements and the requirements of the National Audit Office.

The barrier outside the school has been placed in the wrong location.  Hertfordshire Highways had written to confirm that they would meet with a member of the Parish Council before undertaking the works.  No one however was ever contacted.  Its current location is unsuitable and the Clerk agreed to contact Hertfordshire Highways to discuss having it moved.

Curwens Solicitors are continuing to deal with the registration of the Parish Councils interest in the Plaistow.

Dist Cllr Marshall confirmed his understanding of the changes in planning procedures whereby any planning applications to which the Parish Council objects need to be referred to him.  He discussed his concern that this method of screening the objections perhaps wasn’t the most democratic way to continue and which would undoubtedly lead to future conflicts between District Councillors and Parish Councils.  Dist Cllr Howard Marshall confirmed his attendance at the forthcoming Reed Planning Seminar (29th September) and said that he would be raising his concerns at the meeting.  Cllr J Carlisle confirmed his attendance at the Planning Seminar together with Cllr Martin.

The Clerk confirmed that Hertfordshire Highways had emailed to say that they would undertake the tree lopping on Bankside in the next couple of weeks.

The Clerk is still to contact the District Council, who are responsible for the central bottle, plastic and paper containers behind the Town House, to request that they replace the paving stones damaged by the lorries attending the containers.

Cllr Elliott reported all the bees have now gone from the Club Room.

It was noted that despite the email from Punch Taverns confirming that they would undertake the necessary repairs, the coping stones on the wall bordering the pub car park were still loose.  The Clerk will email again to request that the works are done as soon as possible.

Cllr Carlisle confirmed that Tim Martin (Financial Officer) had kindly agreed to become the Parish Council representative on the Board of Governors at Barley First School.

 

  1. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments

Mr Tim Martin advised the meeting that the Playsafety Ltd invoice had been investigated and was correct and accordingly the cheque had been released to them.  He then advised that the following invoices had been received and checked and were in order for payment:-

Parish Council

MD Landscapes        Grass cutting (June)                             

Malcolm George        Footpath clearance etc. (March, April)      

Malcolm George        Footpath clearance etc. (May, June)         

Laura Childs             Parish Clerk (July & August                     

& Expenses)  

          Southern Electric      Club Room (Direct Debit)                                  

Town House

Prompt Fire Protection                                                        

Paul Isle                           Cleaning for July, August              

Carol Robinson                   Cleaning for July                         

Carol Robinson                   Cleaning for August                     

Barley Flower Show            Advert in show magazine              

Alison Stacey                     Wedding directory advert             

Lee Martin                         Letting officers fee (June)            

Alison Stacey                     Letting officers fee (June)            

It was proposed by Cllr R Elliott and seconded by Cllr T Slater that the payments should be made.

Tim Martin agreed to submit his invoice for work to date next month.

  1. Speeding Issues

Dist Cllr Marshall advised that the police had undertaken a speed check in the village the previous week.  A discussion took place regarding the speed guns purchased for the police and Dist Cllr Marshall informed the meeting that North Hertfordshire Council had contributed 50% towards the original cost.  It was not known if these speed guns had now been replaced.

It was reported that a number of unmarked heavy lorries (mostly grain lorries) have been seen travelling through the village at speeds that appear to have been in excess of the 30mph speed limit. It was also noted that some lorries appear to have already started carrying waste through to Barkway Golf Club.  Dist Cllr Marshall resolved to look in to this matter as it was understood that a decision had not yet been made regarding the appeal against the refusal to grant planning permission for the substantial ground works proposed at the club. 

  1. Planning

10/01258/1HH 3 Sells Close Cottages, High Street, Barley, Royston, SG8 8HY

At the end of July an amendment to the original plans had been made to this application which now meant that there was no on site parking facility.  Cllr Carlisle confirmed that he had responded to NHDC, and spoken to the planning case officer,  raising the Councils increased concerns about the parking issues associated with this application.

10/02075/1 The Surgery, High Street, Barley, Royston, SG8 8HY

The Parish Council have no objection to this application.

  1. Town House

In the absence of Mrs Carol Turner (Chair of the Town House Management Committee) it was nevertheless noted that new fluorescent lights have been fitted complete with diffusers and Mr Martin advised that a grant had been secured to partly fund the costs. 

Cllr V Martin is still kindly acting as temporary Letting Officer in Mrs A Stacey’s absence.

Vi Moxey (Gardening Club) commented that she had noticed at a function held in the upstairs room that caterers had placed tables covered with paper table clothes directly adjacent to the heaters, that were switched on.  The meeting agreed that the Management Committee should be asked to arrange for suitable signs stating ‘Do not cover’ to be placed either directly on or above the wall heaters.

  1. Recreation Ground

In the absence of Cllr Turner it was noted that the replacement bushes have now been fitted to the swings in the playground but that the wastepaper/rubbish bins have not been put in place.  It was agreed that James King of JDK Environmental should be instructed to proceed with the installation of the bins and to liaise with Cllr Turner who is storing them. Cllr Elliott agreed to action and speak to JDK.

     No metal dog fouling signs have yet been found and suitable signs will continue to be sought.

  1. Scout Hut

      Nothing further to report.

  1. Picknage Road Allotments

Cllr Carlisle advised that he had spoken to JDK Environmental about proceeding with the works and who confirmed that their revised estimate dated February 2010 was still valid and that they could hopefully carry out the work sometime in October weather permitting. The Clerk was therefore requested to write to JDK Environmental with instructions to proceed accordingly.

It was agreed that once the site had been cleared then a notice would be placed in The Diary to ask for those interested in taking an allotment to come forward.

  1. Health and Safety

Cllr Elliott confirmed that the next 6 monthly review meeting with Drew and Barltrop, the Council’s Health and Safety Consultants, is on 7th September.  He will be attending together with Cllr Turner.

      13.Correspondence

The Clerk read out a letter received from NHDC regarding Broadband coverage in North Hertfordshire villages.  There is a possible grant available for improving services in our area and NHDC are asking for any information on the level of coverage and speed of services to our village.  It was agreed that the Clerk would respond with the information that the whole of the village only received very poor coverage and slow speed and any prospect of improving this would be appreciated.

The Clerk read out a letter received from John Roebuck of Hillside Farm, Shaftenhoe End asking for further details of the complaints received regarding over hanging trees on to Shaftenhoe End Road.  The Clerk advised that she had written to Mr Roebuck with further information and as yet had not received any further correspondence.  It was noted that the trees had not yet been cut back.

All other correspondence not discussed at the meeting was to be circulated to Councillors.

  1. Any other Business

·         Vi Moxey (Gardening Club) was invited to address the meeting. Mrs Moxey spoke about the concerns that she and several others had regarding the cutting back of shrubbery and the apparent removal of trees during the recent works to replace the fence around the school playing fields.  She produced photographs that showed a village project (some years ago) where tree planting had taken place along and between the fence line of the school and the Town House car park area and access road.  Mrs Moxey explained that numerous people had expressed surprise that no notice had been given prior to these works commencing and raised her objections to the works having been carried out. 

Cllr Elliott explained that the new fence was installed as a result of school concerns about the poor condition of the old fence and the consequential potential safety and security issues for the school. Because of school budget constraints the council understood that the work was funded by FOBS. With regard to the need for any notice to be given, the Council did not believe any notice was required to be given, and certainly not so far as the parish council were concerned, as the works were carried out on school property and was merely a replacement of an existing fence by the school.  It was discussed that any shrubbery removed was because it otherwise prevented the old fence from being removed and that the new fence was placed back in the same position as the old one.  Doubt was raised that any substantial trees had been cut back and that if any had actually been removed then they had been located on school property.  It was felt that any shrubbery cut back will quickly grow back.

·         Cllr Elliott informed the meeting that a ‘Warning Horses’ sign along Shaftenhoe End Lane was damaged and flapping dangerously.  The Clerk agreed to contact Hertfordshire Highways to ask that they repair it.

·         Tim Martin suggested that the insurance cover for the marquees is checked, following the purchase of the new ones in early July.  It was agreed that Tim Martin will ask Jack Sheppard to produce an inventory and value for all the marquees.

·         It was noted that the windows to the Club House are in a poor state of repair and the contact name at the front is incorrect.

    

     The meeting closed at 10.15pm

 

 

Top