MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF BARLEY PARISH COUNCIL

HELD AT THE TOWN HOUSE ON MONDAY 5TH JULY 2010 AT 8PM

  1. Present: Cllr Jeremy Carlisle (Chairman); Cllr Vanessa Martin; Cllr Philip Smith; Cllr Tony Slater; Cllr Richard Elliott; Cllr Ian Turner; Mrs Laura Childs (Clerk); Mr Timothy Martin (Financial Officer)

      In Attendance: Jack Shepherd, Marion Drury (Barley Show Committee) joined mid    meeting.

  1. Apologies: Bridget Ashcroft, Carol Turner (Townhouse committee); Dist Cllr Howard Marshall
  2. Minutes of last meeting

The minutes were read and approved.  Proposed by Cllr V Martin and seconded by

Cllr Philip Smith

  1. Financial Officers Report & Signing of Payments

It was proposed by Cllr V Martin and seconded by Cllr T Slater that the following payments should be made.

Parish Council

CPC                        Bee Keeper                                

MD Landscapes        Grass cutting                              

Drew & Barltrop       H&S Consultants                          

Bridget Ashcroft       Parish Clerk (Mar, Apr, May          

& Expenses)  

          Host It                    Renewal of website domain name  

Playsafety Ltd (play area inspectors) submitted an invoice for £77.56.  Cllr Turner expressed concern that we had not yet received an inspection report and following confusion over last years bill wanted to check that this was the correct company and that the inspection had indeed been undertaken.  Cllr Turner to make a call to Playsafety Ltd and then inform Tim Martin if a cheque should be released to them.

J&J Carter               New marquee (balance of invoice)  £5,058.48

(Money to the same amount was also received from the Barley Show Committee)

It was proposed by Cllr R Elliott and seconded by Cllr V Martin that the following payments be made.

Town House

Busy Bee                Electrical works for sound system  

Paul Isle                  Cleaning for June                        

Carol Robinson         Cleaning for June                        

Tim Martin reported that we had received a VAT repayment of £2,062.00 for Barley Parish Council and Town House.  As part of the Annual Audit the Parish Councils Assets register was reviewed and agreed (as at 31st March 2010).

Cllr Slater asked that funds be made available to pay Tim Martin for his work to date (currently standing at approximately 160 hours).  Cllr Carlisle asked that once we’ve paid for work carried out to date we should then pay on a more formal quarterly basis.

Cllr J Carlisle and Tim Martin are working on finalising appropriate Standing Orders and Financial Regulations to be adopted by the Council including suitable risk assessment proformas for both the Parish Council and the Town House to satisfy statutory requirements and the requirements of the National Audit Office.

 

  1. Matters Arising

A letter has been received from NHDC responsible for providing a lollipop lady.  They advised that they have carried out a survey of the area of concern and their findings show that due to the amount of traffic versus children crossing a lollipop lady is not warranted. 

It was agreed that a letter from the Parish Council would be sent to Sasha Hills (who raised the original request) to inform her of their decision.

Regarding the barrier outside the school, Hertfordshire Highways have at last written to confirm that they will shortly be repairing/ replacing the barrier.  They have agreed that it needs to be moved and they have asked to meet with a member of the Parish Council to agree a suitable location.  A representative from Hertfordshire Highways will be making contact to arrange the meeting.

It was reported that Curwens Solicitors are due to report shortly about the registration of the Parish Councils interest in the Plaistow.

Cllr J Carlisle informed the Clerk that due to a change in planning procedures any planning applications to which the Parish Council objects need to be referred to Dist Cllr Howard Marshall.  Cllr J Carlisle requested that the objection to the planning application for Old Manor Farm (10/01106/1HH) discussed at the last meeting should be copied to Dist Cllr Howard Marshall.

Regarding the tree lopping on Bankside and the general uncertainty about who is responsible for this duty Cllr Carlisle advised that the Clerk had recently received an email from Herts Highways listing all the names and contact details for people responsible for various tasks.  Cllr Slater agreed to take forward the task of getting the trees cut back.

It was confirmed that further to our previous request the Town House car park and its perimeter had been tidied and the bushes clipped back by Malcolm George.

The Clerk is still to contact District Council who provide the bottle banks to request that they replace the damaged paving stones.

Cllr Elliott reported that CPC had visited the Club Room to remove the bees although on inspection today some could still be seen coming and going.  He resolved to look in to this issue further.

The Clerk confirmed that further to an email request to Punch Taverns confirmation had been received from them stating that they had instructed Bostocks to attend to the loose coping stones on the wall bordering the pub car park.

  1. Speeding Issues

Cllr Turner reported that following discussions that he and Brian Haughey had with the police about purchasing a speed gun for the village (as part of a Hertfordshire Police initiative to try to deal with speeding issues particularly in villages) the costs were proving prohibitive.

Additionally Cllr Turner reported that disappointingly the local police priorities appeared to lie more with dealing with hare coursing rather than the problem of speeding in the villages.

 

 

  1. Planning

10/01258/1HH 3 Sells Close Cottages, High Street, Barley, Royston, SG8 8HY

The Parish Council have no objection to this application although concerns were raised over the very restricted on site parking and the proximity of the boundary to the proposed extension.  It was felt that NHDC would deal with these issues as part of their due diligence.

10/01165/1 Margaret House, Church End, Barley, Royston, SG8 8JS

The Parish Council have no objection in principal to this application but ask that a condition be attached restricting the use and occupation of the property as ancillary staff accommodation to Margaret House and for no other purpose.

Further to a previous planning application for Rose Cottage, Smiths End Lane, Barley now having received approval at appeal, a number of Councillors requested the possibility of a visit from the local planning officer to discuss and explain planning issues within the village.  It was felt that this particular planning application breached a number of planning requirements and it was felt that guidance was required to help the Parish Council better understand current planning issues.  This was to be discussed further at the next meeting.

  1. Town House

      Cllr Turner confirmed that there are at least 33 sets of keys and it was not known     who exactly has a set.  In line with Health & Safety and insurance requirements and    general good practice this is an unacceptable situation and needs to be rectified.  In   future all key holders will be required to sign for their keys and confirm that they       understand the letting requirements, fire regulations etc.  The Town House committee          have resolved to change the locks and purchase 30 sets of new keys and follow stricter      guidelines in administering keys in the future.

Amongst other issues discussed at the Town House committee meeting Cllr Turner      reported;

·         The rear door doesn’t lock properly and needs work to repair. 

·         The fluorescent strip lights do not comply with current regulations as they have no covers and need to be replaced, a grant may however be available for new lights and Cllr Smith agreed to look into the grant application.

·         The wiring check has not yet been done and can not be done until the fluorescent lights are replaced.

·         General spending on the Town House was discussed and it was agreed that all of the current expenditure was necessary.

·         The Wedding Licence had to be paid a year in advance as bookings were not allowed to be taken unless it was in place.

·         British Gas have submitted another estimated bill.  The possibility of purchasing some sort of energy monitor was discussed so that the energy costs could be examined to see where specifically the energy was used.

  1. Recreation Ground

      Cllr Turner confirmed that the replacement bins would be in place in time for the Barley        Show.  The tennis courts are due to be resurfaced this September/October and orders           have been placed for new bark and repairs to the swings in the children’s play area.

    

     It was also noted that the kissing gates had some nuts missing and Cllr Elliot agreed to          deal with this.

     Cllr Turner said that he was still having problems in sourcing some metal dog fouling   signs, everyone agreed to keep a look out for suitable signs.

 

  1. Scout Hut

      Nothing further to report.

  1. Picknage Road Allotments

     The method statement drawn up to undertake the clearance works has been approved         by Hertfordshire Highways. It was accordingly agreed to instruct James King to go     ahead with the initial works. Once these works had been completed the Council would      then review what additional work if any was required.

  1. Health and Safety

     Cllr Elliott confirmed that all relevant points had been discussed during other aspects of         the meeting.

  1. Correspondence

All other correspondence not discussed at the meeting was to be circulated to Councillors.

  1. Any other Business

     It has been reported, and complaints received, that the footpath around the Old Manor         House, The Tythe Barn and Barn One, at Old Manor Farm at Shaftenhoe End is obstructed and needs clearing.  It was agreed that the Parish Clerk would write to all these property owners and ask that they clear the obstruction.

     A number of complaints have been received about over hanging trees bordering        Shaftenhoe End Lane at Hillside, Shaftenhoe End.  The Parish Clerk will write to        the owners and ask that these be cut back.

     Cllr Martin reported that the Governor who represents the Parish Council at Barley      School is withdrawing and a new Parish Council representative would need to be       appointed.  All Councillors resolved to think of suitable candidates to ask.

    

     The meeting closed at 10.15pm

 

 

Top